Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing Hospital please explain.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wifes sister is terminally ill on Emergency Floor of Worthing Hospital. When visiting we have to put on small plastic aprons as do the staff when entering the room. Staff and visitors take them off before leaving the room and place them in the bins provided. If they were paper or plastic onesie type suits that cover all I could understand it but these aprons cover virtually nothing and leave the rest of the body and outer clothing open to insects disease or whatever. So what is their use?

Her other sister asked the doctor who agreed and said it was just regulations. Why is this and at what expense to the NHS.

Before anyone suggests I am not knocking the hospital as they have been brilliant just this one aspect that I dont understand.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My wifes sister is terminally ill on Emergency Floor of Worthing Hospital. When visiting we have to put on small plastic aprons as do the staff when entering the room. Staff and visitors take them off before leaving the room and place them in the bins provided. If they were paper or plastic onesie type suits that cover all I could understand it but these aprons cover virtually nothing and leave the rest of the body and outer clothing open to insects disease or whatever. So what is their use?

Her other sister asked the doctor who agreed and said it was just regulations. Why is this and at what expense to the NHS.

Before anyone suggests I am not knocking the hospital as they have been brilliant just this one aspect that I dont understand.

Sorry to hear of this news BG...and it's good that she's being well looked after.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sorry to hear that BG. I did see this as a friend is a nurse...

Several studies show that healthcare workers clothing can become contaminated with potentially pathogenic microorganisms e.g. Staphylococcus aureus.

Aprons are also included as part of healthcare workers personal protective equipment regulations. (Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations, 1992).

Therefore, plastic aprons are part of universally accepted evidence based standards, guidance and regulations for infection prevention and control. They recommend that single use disposable aprons, or gowns, must be worn based on risk assessment when there is a risk that healthcare workers clothing may become exposed to blood, body fluids, secretions and excretions.

Such guidance also recommends that aprons must be changed and removed carefully between care provided for each patient to prevent transmission of microorganisms and when cleaning different areas e.g. bedrooms, bays, toilets, kitchens and clinical areas.

Many policies also advice different colour coded aprons to help ensure that they have been changed between patients and procedures e.g. different colours for patient care, isolation, food service, bathroom and kitchen areas. Some studies have indicated that plastic may acquire static electric charge which can attract airborne bacteria. Although there are various opinions regarding this it also helps support the need to change aprons between patients.

Julie Hughes is a Nurse Consultant Infection Control/Lecturer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Foundation Trust/University of Chester.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would suggest that the apron is for the benefit of the wearer, avoiding them getting splashes etc on clothing that could be passed on to the next. think forwards, not backwards, easier to avoid having a contaminant on you than removing/protecting one on you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear that BG. Hope she is as comfortable as she can be. Regards the aprons, it's as [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] has explained.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I note what Bold Seagull says but I thought with the NHS sceaming for more funds this seemed a poinless waste of valuable money I must also I hadnt considered the protection being given to me.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Again sorry to hear that news ...but surely it would make sense to ask the hospital bosses rather than NSC.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that there might be NHS staff either nurses dotors, assistants etc who post on here as I know Dave the Gaffer come Granny Weatherax come Pubillus whatever daughter iss a nurse and she used to post on here, probably too busy now. Also if you asked management they would fob it off with some story as they wouldnt want to appear wasteful. A doctor was asked and he just said it was regulations and he didnt know why.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm an RGN BG. Is she the only one with these precautions? If so it could be that they suspect CDiff or MRSA. If not then I suggest it is because of norovirus precautions.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Sorry to hear the news
as Bevendean Hillbilly said above or is this reverse barrier nursing to prevent her getting an infection. I'm a RN too.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I note what Bold Seagull says but I thought with the NHS sceaming for more funds this seemed a poinless waste of valuable money I must also I hadnt considered the protection being given to me.

They cost about 2p each in bulk from memory - safe disposal is probably costing more. I suspect the annual cost system-wide is less than the cost of treating one case of a disease they may protect against.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm an RGN BG. Is she the only one with these precautions? If so it could be that they suspect CDiff or MRSA. If not then I suggest it is because of norovirus precautions.

She is in isolation because she has the later stages of breast cancer and is now suffering with pneumonia. I didnt realise that as CIan says they were so cheap so not really an issue, either way.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
BG i too was rather baffled by the aprons / gloves saga. my father had been diagnosed with terminal leukaemia and was in his own room as no immunity... so i though yes i understand it was for his protection.. but... the aprons didnt cover much.. understand about the gloves issue.. but when i was there when my father was told the devastating news and i couldnt even hold his hand properly through plastic sweat gloves.. i ditched them.. washed hands thoroughly on entering the room.. etc. it just seemed lip service to regs. someitmes human contact is more important!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG i too was rather baffled by the aprons / gloves saga. my father had been diagnosed with terminal leukaemia and was in his own room as no immunity... so i though yes i understand it was for his protection.. but... the aprons didnt cover much.. understand about the gloves issue.. but when i was there when my father was told the devastating news and i couldnt even hold his hand properly through plastic sweat gloves.. i ditched them.. washed hands thoroughly on entering the room.. etc. it just seemed lip service to regs. someitmes human contact is more important!

Exactly my view the apron cover next to nothing.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
She is in isolation because she has the later stages of breast cancer and is now suffering with pneumonia. I didnt realise that as CIan says they were so cheap so not really an issue, either way.

sorry to hear this BG she really is in the right place

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
So sorry to hear about your sister, BG, and hope she is as comfortable as is possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here