Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Catherine Mckinnnell resigns from shadow cabinet, cites Corbyn/Labour's direction

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another one bites the dust > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35281203

"As somebody who came into politics with the sole motivation of making life better for my city, my region and, by extension, the country as a whole, I recognised that our electoral defeats in both 2010 and 2015 demanded a genuine and profound response from the Labour Party,"

"I therefore shared your optimism for the 'new kind of politics' you spoke so compellingly about.

"However, as events have unfolded over recent weeks, my concern about the direction and internal conflict within the Labour party has only grown and I fear this is taking us down an increasingly negative path.

"I feel that I would like to channel my energy constructively, into making positive changes for my constituents."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You've got as much work to do as I have today clearly. My techies are rebuilding* our environments

*breaking

Not really a surprise this is it? "Far Left leader elected by new members alienates centerist party members". It'll all end in tears. Remember Militant Tendency and Degsies cabs?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There'll be no one left soon, apart from the loons. Cameron must be rubbing his hands with glee.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really a surprise this is it? "Far Left leader elected by new members alienates centerist party members". It'll all end in tears. Remember Militant Tendency and Degsies cabs?

Labour really are going backwards at present

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Labour really are going backwards at present
Perhaps it is all part of a Labour master plan. The Labour leader replacing the hapless Corbyn will make it seem like dark clouds parting to reveal sunlight. The trick is to not leave his forced resignation too close to the next general election.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Amazing isn't it? A very minor shadow minister resigns (I bet very few people on here could have named the shadow AG before today) and there are two threads about it.

Cameron loses the head of the environment agency and HMRC in one day - both significantly more important jobs - and there's not a sausage from anyone on here. That's the power of the media for you - they really are terrified of Corbyn

EDIT: Just seen there was a mention about the EA but still just one. And nothing about the HMRC

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On the same day, though not deserving it's own thread, Sir Philip Dilley, David Cameron's former business advisor, the man David Cameron installed as Chairman of the Environment Agency has resigned because being on hand at short notice isn't compatible with this part time, non executive role, which requires just 3 days per week from Sir Philip for which he receives £100k per annum.

Unable to break from his Barbados retreat, Sir Philip, knighted in 2014, clearly felt that thousands of ordinary people flooded from their homes and businesses didn't warrant him returning to the UK, and that his £100k per year position didn't require that kind of commitment.

If that doesn't make people sick, I don't know what does, but lets concentrate on the shadow attorney general position...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
better out than in
as cameron will find out when the Europe question comes round

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Is there some strange disease (Corbynitas?) that I haven't heard of that enables people to post on threads complaining about the newsworthiness of the topic but renders them incapable of starting a thread about other stories they claim are of more importance?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is there some strange disease (Corbynitas?) that I haven't heard of that enables people to post on threads complaining about the newsworthiness of the topic but renders them incapable of starting a thread about other stories they claim are of more importance?

Why? The Environment Agency thread is more than enough for that subject, as is your favourite the Shadow Cabinet Reshuffle thread for this narrative. No idea why this thread is created separately.

Perhaps just merge it with the Cabinet reshuffle thread where it belongs, and where you can carry on trying to get top contributor on it. :thumbsup:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Great another showboating politician wanting their moment. I'm no Corbyn fan, far from it, but everyone knew what he was like, what his policies are and what he wants to do. So did this silly cow. So knowing all that why accept the post in the first place? Because she wanted to flounce off in blaze of media headlines. Say's more about her than him but that won't be reported.

He has been elected and those in his party should either get behind the bloke or leave or at least leave his shadow cabinet in an honourable fashion and return to the back benches to carry on their fight. I do so wonder about how desperate these politicians are to convince the world of the value of our democracy but then seek to undermine it if they get an answer they don't like. She could easily have refused this post a couple of weeks back when it was offered.

If and when he gets thrashed at the next election, he will leave and the process can begin again to find another leader until then he is the Labour party leader whether they like it or not. Same with the Tories, if you cannot agree with a key policy or direction your party is heading, leave at the correct time and continue your fight from there...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We need to have two separate threads listing the " fallen " on both sides of politics in the style of " Chris Hughton us the nthhh longest serving manager " it's currently Labour going through their travails at the m pool mentioned but, the Tory meltdown will come as we approach the EU referendum.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why? The Environment Agency thread is more than enough for that subject, as is your favourite the Shadow Cabinet Reshuffle thread for this narrative. No idea why this thread is created separately.

Perhaps just merge it with the Cabinet reshuffle thread where it belongs, and where you can carry on trying to get top contributor on it. :thumbsup:

So this thread should not have been started by the OP (who he) and the Environment agency story should only have one thread. Apologies I didn't realise you were the arbiter of what topics and how many threads per issue could be posted on NSC.

Good news though apparently my fears about that unknown disease were unfounded ... http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ent-and-HMRC-both-resign-smameron-losing-grip ... although for some strange reason some posters on this new thread seem determined to talk about Corbyn then complain about it, oh the irony !!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On the same day, though not deserving it's own thread, Sir Philip Dilley, David Cameron's former business advisor, the man David Cameron installed as Chairman of the Environment Agency has resigned because being on hand at short notice isn't compatible with this part time, non executive role, which requires just 3 days per week from Sir Philip for which he receives £100k per annum.

Unable to break from his Barbados retreat, Sir Philip, knighted in 2014, clearly felt that thousands of ordinary people flooded from their homes and businesses didn't warrant him returning to the UK, and that his £100k per year position didn't require that kind of commitment.

If that doesn't make people sick, I don't know what does, but lets concentrate on the shadow attorney general position...
How come most of us are working harder and harder to pay for the mistakes of rich bankers yet the rich seem to be working less and less? Thanks Dave.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here