Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Austin / McCormack / Rhodes etc

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
If we are seemingly willing to spend some serious money, circa 10m on an unproven striker in the Championship, Any chance the powers that be might just lump on a tried and tested one that's currently banging in the goals in England?

All this on/off bullshit on the JC and Bolanos transfers are draining as hell....

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure you would pick up any of those for the 7-8 million we are talking about spending.
Would think all would be double that at 12-15 million mark. Wages of Austin would be massive as I should think his current deal is pretty decent.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They're all a lot older than Calleri too, who is the only one that has been spoken of in terms of £10m fee, and there won't be that resale value, as his value is on an upward trajectory.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
One has to ask, why has Rhodes not been snapped up by a Premiership club already? I would love to have him at The Albion but the question bothers me.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
If we had a fit Austin, we would be promoted. I reckon 6m would get him as he is out of contract soon and 5m would cover his wages over the contract. Given we get promoted it's a bargain.
His performance against us was f********n immense.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Austin is a proven goalscorer, but I heard the reason no premier league clubs came in for him in the summer is that he'd struggle to pass a medical because of dodgy knees. One bad injury might finish his career. QPR wanted £15 million for him on the summer, but if it's true even half that seems a bit of a gamble. I can't see the club spending big money on a fee and wages if they thought even remotely that we could end up with another Mackail-Smith or Hoskins
injury prone striker.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we are seemingly willing to spend some serious money, circa 10m on an unproven striker in the Championship, Any chance the powers that be might just lump on a tried and tested one that's currently banging in the goals in England?

All this on/off bullshit on the JC and Bolanos transfers are draining as hell....

Our bids have been in euros or dollars. English strikers are too expensive and want mega wages.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If we had a fit Austin, we would be promoted. I reckon 6m would get him as he is out of contract soon and 5m would cover his wages over the contract. Given we get promoted it's a bargain.

He's fantastic but probably commands £50-£60k per week plus bonuses as well as a £6 million transfer fee. Only a PL club could afford the gamble. If he guaranteed promotion, why are QPR not in the top two?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
with the scandalous price payed for rhodes and mccormack they would be out of reach austin could be got but his wage along with the other 2 would be to much for us now where as the likes of calleri might have a high price tag but the wage would be very managable

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I absolutely agree with your first point.

Unfortunately I feel that Charlie Austin is way outside our price bracket, certainly on wages. I feel too that he may well stall on a move, unless it was to a club already in the Premier League. £6m sounds a tad optimistic to me too.

Love to be proved wrong though!

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Werent there rumours Leicester are close to bringing in another striker pushing Leo further down the pecking order there so I reckon if we're going to spunk £6-8 million why not just bring him back? Surely that would be enough to secure his services and if he's (4th?) choice there surely they would listen to that sort of offer?

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I would imagine if we're talking of spending up to around the 10m mark then our wage structure may also be a bit more flexible than previously.

Derby and Boro have shown what it takes to build a very strong team to challenge. We are so bloody close to matching them this season....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Werent there rumours Leicester are close to bringing in another striker pushing Leo further down the pecking order there so I reckon if we're going to spunk £6-8 million why not just bring him back? Surely that would be enough to secure his services and if he's (4th?) choice there surely they would listen to that sort of offer?
There's a big difference when someone has been on Premier League wages. I reckon we'd have to SMASH our wage structure in order to bring him back. Much as I would love him back obviously.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Ah what a joke. While we piss about getting messed around by the 2 S.A boys @ over £7m each Saints sneak in and buy one of the best strikers in the league...for only £4m!! At only 26 surely Austin would have been worth breaking the weekly salary cap for.

Still happily have McCormack now....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ah what a joke. While we piss about getting messed around by the 2 S.A boys @ over £7m each Saints sneak in and buy one of the best strikers in the league...for only £4m!! At only 26 surely Austin would have been worth breaking the weekly salary cap for.

Still happily have McCormack now....
Yeah, I think he'd have chosen us too. Definitely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here