Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Frozen stuff that is as good (or better?) than fresh

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was delighted to spy frozen avocados in Tesco so bought some. They are peeled and stoned and inside the £2.50 bag are avocado halves, ready to eat.

My delight has been tempered by what happens when they defrost - they are quite mushy - losing some of the firmness of a (not too ripe) fresh fruit. They also seem to be lacking in flavour a bit, I thought.

The frozen avocado did, however, pass my son's sushi test - he devoured his maki in the usual speedy way.

I think the only other frozen fruit or vegetable we ever have is petit pois.

What other frozen veg/fruit is good and not much of a compromise on fresh?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Many fruit that are you are going to cook are fine (gooseberries, blackberries etc...), but nothing for eating 'fresh'.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I was delighted to spy frozen avocados in Tesco so bought some. They are peeled and stoned and inside the £2.50 bag are avocado halves, ready to eat.

My delight has been tempered by what happens when they defrost - they are quite mushy - losing some of the firmness of a (not too ripe) fresh fruit. They also seem to be lacking in flavour a bit, I thought.

The frozen avocado did, however, pass my son's sushi test - he devoured his maki in the usual speedy way.

I think the only other frozen fruit or vegetable we ever have is petit pois.

What other frozen veg/fruit is good and not much of a compromise on fresh?

I'd be interested to learn if they pass a guacamole test also if you fancy trying that...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really is only peas, I think. Broad beans are just about OKish, spinach if going in a stew. Frozen fruit good value for smoothies, though, if you've got one of those mega-blender things.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you are making homemade wine from fruit other than grapes (known as Country Wine), apparently go get better juice and colour extraction if the fruit is frozen and then defrosted prior to use.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the 2 worst products frozen are mushrooms and onions both only ok for stews but so cheap fresh they are not worth buying frozen except possibly as emergency back up for stews/ caseroles.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
frozen apple and rhubarb are pretty good from farm foods they make a decent crumble anyways hehe

My daughter and I made a crumble for pudding yesterday, and we used frozen rhubarb from the garden (probably over a year old) and added some fresh blueberries prior to adding the topping and popping into the oven - lovely.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fish that is frozen the same day that it's caught is excellent (after it's been defrosted and cooked).

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
I think the 2 worst products frozen are mushrooms and onions both only ok for stews but so cheap fresh they are not worth buying frozen except possibly as emergency back up for stews/ caseroles.

My wife bought some frozen mushrooms a couple of weeks ago, just to see what they were like She won't be buying them again, absolutely revolting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here