Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Plumbing advice please

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Morning, in May of this year I had a new bathroom fitted which included a concealed toilet cistern. When the builder installed the back to wall toilet and cistern he had to adjust the internal workings a couple of times before he was happy that it functioned properly. Two months later I had to get him back because the overflow in the cistern was continously in use. He came and again done an adjustment. Over the last month when flushing the toilet it took longer and longer for the cistern to fill up. This morning there was no flush at all so I decided to take the lid of the unit and have a look in the cistern. To my untrained eye it looks as though the internal mechanism is a bit too big for the cistern. The reason I say this is that the orange arm to the left is bang up against the cistern and has no freedom to move, thus not allowing it to function. If I need to get him back I would like to point out to him what he needs to do to resolve this issue. Failing that is there a fix I could do myself or would one of you plumbers be willing to do the job for me? Thanks.

20160111_111518.jpg

Studio_20160111_113803.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry about the cistern. Had a sense of joy, however, when I spotted a grammatical mistake in your post.:)

I'm sure the boys will be on later to help you out. If you are not getting the original plumber to do it for free, I would be looking for a different plumber. Good luck.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm presuming you've flushed it while looking at the mechanism and seen the float jam, in which case you are right.
Looks like you may be able to twist the offending part 45° and get a bit more clearance.
If that works you owe me a pint

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm presuming you've flushed it while looking at the mechanism and seen the float jam, in which case you are right.
Looks like you may be able to twist the offending part 45° and get a bit more clearance.
If that works you owe me a pint ��

Yes. When I put a a little pressure on the cistern to move it away from the mechanism, there is enough clearance for it to operate properly. Once I take the pressure away the cistern moves back against the orange arm and prevents it from moving. Cheers.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
If that works you owe me a pint ��

Jackanada is right. Turn the water off. Loosen that grey nut under the orange arm. You should now be able to rotate the float assembly and the orange arm counter clockwise a tad until it clears the side of the cistern. Tighten nut, water back on, buy Jackanada and me a drink.......

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Jackanada is right. Turn the water off. Loosen that grey nut under the orange arm. You should now be able to rotate the float assembly and the orange arm counter clockwise a tad until it clears the side of the cistern. Tighten nut, water back on, buy Jackanada and me a drink.......

Absolutely agree ...buy jackanda..Paul-brighton and me a drink.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Thanks. I will give that a go when I get home from work this evening. :thumbsup:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

I'm not sure that will work on this model? It looks like the grey float under the arm sits fixed in place in a groove so may not swivel? And often the top "grey nut" as you describe it may have a tab to fix it in place? But worth a try as it may move freely but it's not a valve I've seen before (and I've seen hundreds)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm not sure that will work on this model? It looks like the grey float under the arm sits fixed in place in a groove so may not swivel? And often the top "grey nut" as you describe it may have a tab to fix it in place? But worth a try as it may move freely but it's not a valve I've seen before (and I've seen hundreds)

Its an odd looking thing for sure. I'd have thrown it out and stuck a brass shanked fluidmaster one on the right. Things being pox is double pox when they're concealed.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Its an odd looking thing for sure. I'd have thrown it out and stuck a brass shanked fluidmaster one on the right. Things being pox is double pox when they're concealed.

Exactly, that would be my route - rip out the whole thing including the flexi middle section and fit a new valve on the right where there is actually the space to accommodate the thing!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can't see why it's been extended to the far side of the cistern. Tale the extension piece out and put it on the right hand side?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Exactly, that would be my route - rip out the whole thing including the flexi middle section and fit a new valve on the right where there is actually the space to accommodate the thing!

If that is an option that will resolve this issue what outlay should I expect to be paying? Not too fond of those tut tut, sucks teeth and shakes head estimates. :lol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If that is an option that will resolve this issue what outlay should I expect to be paying? Not too fond of those tut tut, sucks teeth and shakes head estimates. :lol:

Not seen one of these valves before - way over complicated for a hidden cistern.

Looks like there are two nuts on inlet pipe - take one off and this should allow the valve to be shoved sideways by 1/2" thus stopping the valve sticking?

Side entry Fluidmaster £15.00 from Screwfix

It should take a proper plumber five minutes to fit or ten minutes for you to diy :moo:

Supply & fit if local £45.00.

Or carefully cut a square segment out of the cistern where its rubbing:)

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Not seen one of these valves before - way over complicated for a hidden cistern.

Looks like there are two nuts on inlet pipe - take one off and this should allow the valve to be shoved sideways by 1/2" thus stopping the valve sticking?

It should take a proper plumber five minutes to fit or ten minutes for you to diy :moo:

Thanks [MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION], I am local ( Lower Bevendean ) and would rather pay for a plumber than diy. I would get the builder back but he's had his chance to rectify it and for £50 or so it would be peace of mind for me. :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Hope it wasn't Simmo Says that fitted it originally. :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

It's a Wirquin Jollyfill filling valve, I'm sure that isn't the original fill valve though, it looks like a Macdee cistern.

Why is changing a ball valve and a syphon so awkward these days? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here