Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members The Andy Naylor Fan Club's Avatar

NSC Plumbing advice please

0 Not allowed!
    Morning, in May of this year I had a new bathroom fitted which included a concealed toilet cistern. When the builder installed the back to wall toilet and cistern he had to adjust the internal workings a couple of times before he was happy that it functioned properly. Two months later I had to get him back because the overflow in the cistern was continously in use. He came and again done an adjustment. Over the last month when flushing the toilet it took longer and longer for the cistern to fill up. This morning there was no flush at all so I decided to take the lid of the unit and have a look in the cistern. To my untrained eye it looks as though the internal mechanism is a bit too big for the cistern. The reason I say this is that the orange arm to the left is bang up against the cistern and has no freedom to move, thus not allowing it to function. If I need to get him back I would like to point out to him what he needs to do to resolve this issue. Failing that is there a fix I could do myself or would one of you plumbers be willing to do the job for me? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160111_111518.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	71317

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studio_20160111_113803.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	5.06 MB 
ID:	71318
    When you are out and about, if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Sorry about the cistern. Had a sense of joy, however, when I spotted a grammatical mistake in your post.

I'm sure the boys will be on later to help you out. If you are not getting the original plumber to do it for free, I would be looking for a different plumber. Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm presuming you've flushed it while looking at the mechanism and seen the float jam, in which case you are right.
      Looks like you may be able to twist the offending part 45° and get a bit more clearance.
      If that works you owe me a pint ��
      Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.
      Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jackanada View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm presuming you've flushed it while looking at the mechanism and seen the float jam, in which case you are right.
      Looks like you may be able to twist the offending part 45° and get a bit more clearance.
      Yes. When I put a a little pressure on the cistern to move it away from the mechanism, there is enough clearance for it to operate properly. Once I take the pressure away the cistern moves back against the orange arm and prevents it from moving. Cheers.
      When you are out and about, if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Jackanada is right. Turn the water off. Loosen that grey nut under the orange arm. You should now be able to rotate the float assembly and the orange arm counter clockwise a tad until it clears the side of the cistern. Tighten nut, water back on, buy Jackanada and me a drink.......
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by paul-brighton View Post
      Jackanada is right. Turn the water off. Loosen that grey nut under the orange arm. You should now be able to rotate the float assembly and the orange arm counter clockwise a tad until it clears the side of the cistern. Tighten nut, water back on, buy Jackanada and me a drink.......
      Absolutely agree ...buy jackanda..Paul-brighton and me a drink.

0 Not allowed!
      Thanks. I will give that a go when I get home from work this evening.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm not sure that will work on this model? It looks like the grey float under the arm sits fixed in place in a groove so may not swivel? And often the top "grey nut" as you describe it may have a tab to fix it in place? But worth a try as it may move freely but it's not a valve I've seen before (and I've seen hundreds)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 227 BHA View Post
      I'm not sure that will work on this model? It looks like the grey float under the arm sits fixed in place in a groove so may not swivel? And often the top "grey nut" as you describe it may have a tab to fix it in place? But worth a try as it may move freely but it's not a valve I've seen before (and I've seen hundreds)
      Its an odd looking thing for sure. I'd have thrown it out and stuck a brass shanked fluidmaster one on the right. Things being pox is double pox when they're concealed.

0 Not allowed!
      Its an odd looking thing for sure. I'd have thrown it out and stuck a brass shanked fluidmaster one on the right. Things being pox is double pox when they're concealed.
      Exactly, that would be my route - rip out the whole thing including the flexi middle section and fit a new valve on the right where there is actually the space to accommodate the thing!