Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ask NSC: Which latte machine should I buy?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Following on from recent threads about coffee shops, I've decided I'm splashing way too much money in said shops so should probably invest in my own machine.

It's a bit of a minefield and I've found myself considering machines from £99 to £499+ and have read so many (often conflicting) reviews that I'm not sure which one to plump for.

I think I want a machine that accepts ground coffee (rather than/in addition to pods) and has a nozzle for frothing/steaming milk. That said I have also been looking at bean-to-cup since I probably would buy beans and grind them myself otherwise.

So, over to NSC, do you have any recommendations?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Keep it simple is my advice. I had an expensive Siemens machine that was very good... but died after 3 years and beyond economical repair despite costing £700 at the time.

I now use an Aeropress (£20!), or a Caffetiere (£15!) for every day use.

I would have said Gaggia too having got a classic, but they 'replaced' the line last year and the Classic models are gash. Something relatively manual would be my advice.

Jira have always had a good reputation but will push your price point I think.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
We have a Siemens machine as well (an EQ7) - which cost £700, but has had 8 years of heavy use and is still going strong - albeit we learnt early not to skimp on the cleaning/servicing.

It's the only thing we've taken out an extended warranty on - costs about a fiver a month, but we've had two callouts, one of which replaced the innards (brewing mechanism), so we've probably had good value from it. I would replace with the same when it eventually dies on us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We have a Siemens machine as well (an EQ7) - which cost £700, but has had 8 years of heavy use and is still going strong - albeit we learnt early not to skimp on the cleaning/servicing.

It's the only thing we've taken out an extended warranty on - costs about a fiver a month, but we've had two callouts, one of which replaced the innards (brewing mechanism), so we've probably had good value from it. I would replace with the same when it eventually dies on us.

Mine was always serviced when it said, and with the proper cleaning bits. The water pump has gone on mine I think. Maybe I should have considered the plan like you. Was a great machine other than it now being dead

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I already drink WAY too much coffee, mostly thanks to freebies from Waitrose. I think if I had the facility to make my own at home, I'd end up quite ILL.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good old fashioned cafetière is unbeatable vfm for dairy-free drinkers like me but once you get into steaming milk for latte you need a proper bit of kit. Siemens are hard to beat but pay heed to Martlet's advice on servicing.
Worth keeping an eye out for sales of second hand catering equipment - you can pick up some serious kit at decent prices

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I used to visit Waitrose on an almost daily basis, but having moved my free coffee is a rare treat these days :-(

I have one EVERY morning on the way to work, and quite often a second one, via my (non coffee drinking) wife's card, later.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Keep it simple is my advice. I had an expensive Siemens machine that was very good... but died after 3 years and beyond economical repair despite costing £700 at the time.

I now use an Aeropress (£20!), or a Caffetiere (£15!) for every day use.

I would have said Gaggia too having got a classic, but they 'replaced' the line last year and the Classic models are gash. Something relatively manual would be my advice.

Jira have always had a good reputation but will push your price point I think.

I think the Siemens is a bit out of budget, I think ideally no more than £250.

The Gaggia is another example of the troubles you come across when trying to decide, very similar models (or names at least) or updated versions which have wildly differing reviews.

There are few old Gaggia's on eBay perhaps I'll track those.

I've got a De Longhi one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-EC270-15-Bar-Espresso-Machine/dp/B000RE4Z7I) and it makes a lovely cup, far better than a cafetiere because it pressurises the water and gives a nice crema on the top.

And that's where the conflicting reviews part comes in, to offset your positive review almost 20% of the Amazon reviewers give it 1 star.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Aren't lattes, cappuccinos, mochafrochachocalataasimos all coffee for people who don't like coffee? Wouldn't you be better off buying a tub of nesquik?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I already drink WAY too much coffee, mostly thanks to freebies from Waitrose. I think if I had the facility to make my own at home, I'd end up quite ILL.

I've stopped using my Bean to Cup machine, its a very nice DeLonghi, but I was just getting hooked on the stuff, craving it at night and fancying a cup every 15 minutes.

boik

I've stopped using my Bean to Cup machine, its a very nice DeLonghi, but I was just getting hooked on the stuff, craving it at night and fancying a cup every 15 minutes.

Thats the problem with coffee...apparently the kick that people thinks they get from drinking coffee is just the feeling of the craving being satisfied. Your body is just returning to the same state as if you had never drunk any coffee at all. Can't believe how much money some people splurge on posh coffee just to feel normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here