Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] "Reset" all athletics world records

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
UK Athletics are proposing all world records be reset to mark the beginning of a clean era for the sport.

Other recommendations:

- World Anti Doping Agency (Wada) should maintain a public global register of all drugs tests
- If not, UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) and UK sport should take the lead by forming a British register
- The idea of a register of missed tests should also be investigated
- Change the three strikes system so that missing three tests over a longer period of time - currently 18 months - can lead to a ban
- Clean athletes to be compensated for loss of prize money by federations when drug cheats are banned and results annulled
- Minimum of eight-year bans for drug cheats so they miss two Olympic or Paralympic cycles, plus life-time bans where appropriate
- Criminalise supply or procurement of performance-enhancing drugs
- Re-name all anti-doping agencies under one umbrella. For example, Ukad would become Clean Sport UK

Would this be a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting proposals. I'd wait until a minute after midnight and set the world record in a sport.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ban Russian athletes and any other states that have a proven organised history of doping/cheating until they can prove beyond any doubt that they have changed.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Resetting records seems like a good way to earn a bit of cash too right? Much higher potential to set records surely draws attention and punters?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
"Reset" all athletics world records

It's easy. Set up an athletics 'premier league' headed up by Sky and all records previous to this shall be ignored/forgotten.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd be devastated for one reason.

In future years, when people talk about Usain Bolt, people would call him "that bloke who set records in the non-clean era".

On the belief that he was clean and that he was just the best athlete I will EVER see, that's pretty sad to me.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Commentator: that's a new world record that is 5 minutes slower than the previous one set last week!

They will all be compared with previous records so never forgotten and how about world records that were set by non cheating ba$tard$?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Well done UK Athletics for at least setting an agenda. I'm personally fed up with the FIFA style sports politics of wholesome denial and pretending none of it ever happened - and appealing to every possible authority to enable prologation of the sleaze. Seb Coe's first few months at the IAAF have seemed similar - OK finally I'll stop taking money from Nike because you push me - Ok I'll remove my right hand man who was clearly involved in the cover-up of Russian doping because you've revealed it - and no doubt much more to come.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd hope there was a record for all proven drug takers too. Surely that'll then be a goal for all clean athletes. I'd push myself harder in the pool if I was to meet the speed of a chap on barracuda amphetamines.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bull. An attempt to salvage the 2017 IAAF World Championshipx in London. uK Athletics need to look at their own athletes before they castigate other nations' athletes.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd be devastated for one reason.

In future years, when people talk about Usain Bolt, people would call him "that bloke who set records in the non-clean era".

On the belief that he was clean and that he was just the best athlete I will EVER see, that's pretty sad to me.
Absolutely this.

Why should his achievements be tarnished by the cheating of others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here