Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Star on Sunday says he is prepared to drop a division from Stoke to get games Fulham and Reading interested, Could he be the man to get between Kayal and Stephens to l.ink with the strikers? My first thought was Yes but on reflection I wondeer if he is too similar to what we have

You really do have a fettish for players reaching the end of their careers - but at least he is a year younger than J Llloyd-Samuels. On your recommendations we could have the Dads army team of championship football.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Am i right in thinking Towell plays in a similar role to Sidwell ? So cant see us being interested

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Sidwell would still be class in this division imo. But would still demand decent wages and given CM isn't a priority not really worth it (Unless we play 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sidwell would still be class in this division imo. But would still demand decent wages and given CM isn't a priority not really worth it (Unless we play 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder)

In which case we have Towell or Knockaert or even Murphy

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
In which case we have Towell or Knockaert or even Murphy

Knockaert will be playing on the wing permanently I'd have thought (injuries permitting), Towell yes but no guarantees on how he'll adapt to the Championship + need cover in case of injuries. I think we'll begin playing 4-4-2 again once Bong and Rosenior return anyway.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Knockaert will be playing on the wing permanently I'd have thought (injuries permitting), Towell yes but no guarantees on how he'll adapt to the Championship + need cover in case of injuries. I think we'll begin playing 4-4-2 again once Bong and Rosenior return anyway.

I agree. Was just going by an Argus piece suggesting the wing required too much discipline for knockaert and that he would be better at tbe point of a diamond
He certainly gives us more flexibility

SBarlow

Sep 7, 2015
It's flare we need in the box and goal scorers But experience heads is always helpful.

I've always been of the opinion that most teams in the championship have good midfielders. It's whar you do in both boxes that makes the difference.

Centre backs and strikers decide promotion and relegation.

I would suggest we have plenty of adequate midfielders to come in if needed. We won't strengthen here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, he meets the criterion of having played here before! Good player - wouldn't mind if the wage demands weren't too high, but probably realistically a year or two too late.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
10 years ago .........maybe
now ...............no thanks

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Star on Sunday says he is prepared to drop a division from Stoke to get games Fulham and Reading interested, Could he be the man to get between Kayal and Stephens to l.ink with the strikers? My first thought was Yes but on reflection I wondeer if he is too similar to what we have

I imagine that a review of Steve Sidwell's career, would read a liitle bit like my old school reports, 'should have done better'.

A player that seemingly offered so much promise that time Steve Coppell took the young Steve Sidwell on loan from Arsenal back in 2002.

For me, since, then though, he has rather flattered to deceive, despite a spell in the Premier League with Stoke City. Midfield is an area in which we are well covered at the moment, so to sign anyone who playes there, he would have be exceptional.

At 35 Steve Sidwell most certainly isn't that player. He isn't capable of providing the goals from midfield that we need.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would only be a candidate if either Stephens or Kayal picked up a lengthy injury as a loan option. Otherwise too late in his career

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon Sidwell could deputise better for Kayal / Stephens than any of Crofts, Holla or Ince.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here