Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heading to Preston away for the first time (5 March)

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Any experiences to share? Arriving by train in the morning so could do with some tips for decent drinking holes in town.

Deepdale looks decent- I heard they sell potato and butter pies (health health health) and keep the bars in the concorse open throughout the whole game?

Train tickets going cheap at the moment- Virgin doing £16 each way from Euston..

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I went once - the absolute highlight (we lost 0-3) was when Tom Finney was wheeled out at half time on his 80th birthday. Outside is one of the best of footballing statues (of Sir Tom of course) They had the National Football Museum in one of the stands then (containing Gary Stevens' Cup Final Shirt) - but I think it has moved now (the Museum that is)

theboybilly

My first visit too. I'm staying in B&B not far from the station. There are two Wetherspoons within easy walking distance turning right out of the north exit of the station. There is also the Old Black Bull or the seemingly better Black Horse on Friargate which is a couple of minutes further on than both 'Spoons. It's about a 20 minute walk from Friargate to Deepdale if your fit.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hope the weather dries up or you may wish they still had the plastic pitch I saw them play Brighton on in 19??

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I went in 2002 when we fought back from 2-0 down at half time to get a draw 2-2, with Sidwell. Coppell had just taken the job of manager.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Any experiences to share? Arriving by train in the morning so could do with some tips for decent drinking holes in town.

Deepdale looks decent- I heard they sell potato and butter pies (health health health) and keep the bars in the concorse open throughout the whole game?

Train tickets going cheap at the moment- Virgin doing £16 each way from Euston..

I lived there for five years (during which I lost almost all of my Albion-supporting friends and witnessed the 2-2 Sidwell/Zamora game) - there are loads of pubs, none bad but none that stand out. Any pub on Friargate or Fishersgate is good, and the ones on the stretch to Deepdale are all dependable as well. Pick the Black Horse and the one opposite the shopping centre ahead of 'spoons if you can. Warehouse is a decent indie club if you're staying over and planning to go out.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It will be my first visit to Preston too so reading this thread with interest. Arriving just before 12 by train.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am a Preston Virgin as well

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The OP mentioned the bar serving throughout the game. It did the last time I went, with tv monitors showing the game, so if it's really cold, you can stay on the concourse, drink and watch the game. Of course, you'll miss the atmosphere and 'live' coverage.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The OP mentioned the bar serving throughout the game. It did the last time I went, with tv monitors showing the game, so if it's really cold, you can stay on the concourse, drink and watch the game. Of course, you'll miss the atmosphere and 'live' coverage.

And may well have stayed at home!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yup. Don't get a lift to Blackpool with [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] afterwards
:)
Yep ... Who's bright idea was it to continue driving while smoke was coming out the bonnet !!? All for a glorious night out in Blackpool

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yep ... Who's bright idea was it to continue driving while smoke was coming out the bonnet !!? All for a glorious night out in Blackpool

"What's the worst that can happen?"

What can I say? I was chasing tail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here