Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Private landlords responsibilities re Proper shower

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Totally unrelated to football I know but as NSC is the fount of all knowledge on most subjects I thought I'd ask. I rent a flat, been here over 2 years, no issues other than the shower is just an attachment, with the temperature almost impossible to control. Hot water on full is close to scalding, you turn the cold more than a few millimetres and it drops to barely lukewarm. My daughter, who stays with me every other weekend is 10 now, and obviously doesn't really want her Dad around when she's showering, but she can't get it to the right temperature, indeed I struggle to do it, when I'm having one I just have it scalding. The agent is in an office next door, and I have said I need something done, they have approached the landlord, but he is very reluctant to spend the money to put in an electric shower. I really wanted to know if there is any legal obligation on him to provide a shower that can be easily temperature controlled, or is he just obliged to provide hot running water.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Suspect you are going to struggle there. Nothing will make the landlord do it. If you've been a good tenant any way you could maybe contact the landlord directly and ask?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest have you requested any other works or costs over the past few years? And have you been a "good" tenant? Reason I ask is that if you are good and you were to suggest this could be a deal breaker, the landlord would be daft to lose you; the void in a few week's rent alone makes installing a new shower a no-brainer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The landlord has an obligation to keep appliances in proper working order. From what I can tell, your shower, which is deemed an essential facility, is not in proper working order.

I'm no expert, although I do live in rented accommodation. I would ask Citizens Advice.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
If the rental property was advertised with a working shower then that is what you are entitled to expect. Advertising rules apply for everything. If you cannot control the temperature because of an imbalance of pressures then it IS the landlords responsibility to rectify it. However, if you follow my advice and insist, expect your rent to increase by 8% next time you renegotiate. Landlords are Barstewards in the main.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree with HT above. As a Landlord I like to look after good tenants. A decent thermostatic shower would be a couple of hundred plus fitting in. This is the cost as pipe work is cut into wall and the tiling has to be redone. The cost over 10 years to a landlord is minor. However, as you have signed an agreement for what is in place, he does not need to change it and would be looking at the one off cost. Gentle negotiation is you're only choice.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Agree with HT above. As a Landlord I like to look after good tenants. A decent thermostatic shower would be a couple of hundred plus fitting in. This is the cost as pipe work is cut into wall and the tiling has to be redone. The cost over 10 years to a landlord is minor. However, as you have signed an agreement for what is in place, he does not need to change it and would be looking at the one off cost. Gentle negotiation is you're only choice.

You seem like a reasonable landlord Knocky, However consider this about agreements. Should a prospective tenant 'trial' the premises? Perhaps for a free week. Honestly! to be able to work out what's good and not good in a 'rental' after a 10 min letting agency view is impossible. The amount of false advertising in the letting world is awful.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You seem like a reasonable landlord Knocky, However consider this about agreements. Should a prospective tenant 'trial' the premises? Perhaps for a free week. Honestly! to be able to work out what's good and not good in a 'rental' after a 10 min letting agency view is impossible. The amount of false advertising in the letting world is awful.

I agree but legally the Landlord would be in a dodgy position. I agree also that there are ***** out there letting properties. Hoogstraten bought my Mum and Dad's flat, where they were sitting tenants, on our family flat in the early 70's.
Our own tenants seem to stay on average 5 years and move on for personal reasons rather than the Landlord.
I tend to not use agents either.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Should there be a social website where tenants 'rate' properties and 'landlords'? Like travel rating websites? I think so.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I agree but legally the Landlord would be in a dodgy position. I agree also that there are ***** out there letting properties. Hoogstraten bought my Mum and Dad's freehold, where they were sitting tenants, on our family home in the early 70's. Our tenants seem to stay on average 5 years and move on for personal reasons rather than the Landlord.

Good for you Knocky. A landlord should furnish and equip a home in the way he/she would want in their home. By the way, I worked for a legal agency in the 80's investigating Hoogstraten. Slippery bast**d he was!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
OP - Want to post a pic of shower, so from a plumbing perspective we may be able to offer some suggestions that work for both of you ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A capital investment such as this will benefit both the current tenant [you] and future tenants too - so [as a landlord] here's my advice.
Get a couple of free quotes from local plumbers - don't mention you are the tenant.

Then contact your landlord and have a chat - sound him out first to see if he'll pay in full.
If you get a cold response then consider offering to pay a contribution in recognition that you and future tenants will benefit.

I don't believe a standard Short Term Letting Agreement specifically mentions showers - if there is a managing agent, try leaning on them but I don't think you can make demands or seek court intervention.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good for you Knocky. A landlord should furnish and equip a home in the way he/she would want in their home. By the way, I worked for a legal agency in the 80's investigating Hoogstraten. Slippery bast**d he was!

He fixed the perfect roof above our maisonette in Brunswick Road. Rain soaked in ever after. He put tenants in underneath who partied all night. Then flooded the leaseholder in the basement by leaving the bath taps on for 2 days. Thing is that was about it for us. As sitting tenants in the 60's/70's you got the shell and everything inside was down to you. We got off lightly....

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
He fixed the perfect roof above our maisonette in Brunswick Road. Rain soaked in ever after. He put tenants in underneath who partied all night. Then flooded the leaseholder in the basement by leaving the bath taps on for 2 days. Thing is that was about it for us. As sitting tenants in the 60's/70's you got the shell and everything inside was down to you. We got off lightly....

Remember the staircase he removed in one property to make it uninhabitable? Proper Mr NotNice was Nikolaus Hoogstraten!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Probably just needs a new mixer unit ( the taps). But first....... provided you have your own boiler, adjust the hot water temperature. Sounds like it's coming from a hot water tank, in which case there should be a thermostat strapped to the tank. turn it as low as it will go. If it is a combi boiler there will be an adjustment on the boiler.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm a good tenant !! Rent always payed on time, no wild parties. I think I will go for getting the quotes and offer a contribution. I haven't had a rent increase since I moved in December 2013, and could swallow a small increase as the price for a proper shower

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Totally unrelated to football I know but as NSC is the fount of all knowledge on most subjects I thought I'd ask. I rent a flat, been here over 2 years, no issues other than the shower is just an attachment, with the temperature almost impossible to control. Hot water on full is close to scalding, you turn the cold more than a few millimetres and it drops to barely lukewarm. My daughter, who stays with me every other weekend is 10 now, and obviously doesn't really want her Dad around when she's showering, but she can't get it to the right temperature, indeed I struggle to do it, when I'm having one I just have it scalding. The agent is in an office next door, and I have said I need something done, they have approached the landlord, but he is very reluctant to spend the money to put in an electric shower. I really wanted to know if there is any legal obligation on him to provide a shower that can be easily temperature controlled, or is he just obliged to provide hot running water.

You say the shower is ' just an attachment '

Do you have a bath in the property and you have one of those hose things that push on the taps?
Or do you have a bath/ shower mixer tap ( mixer tap with shower hose and head )?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good point by skipper734.

Whilst on the subject of old Nicholas Van What's his face.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here