Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you eat MORE fish if bones weren't an issue?

Do you eat much fish and are bones an issue?

• I do eat at least two portions of fish a week and bones don't bother me

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I eat two portions of fish a week but the bones do frustrate me

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I eat fish regularly though not twice a week and bones aren't a problem

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • I eat fish regularly though not twice a week however I might eat more were it not for the bones

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • I eat fish less regularly but it's not the bones preventing me from eating more

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I eat fish less regularly but would eat more were it not for the bones

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I don't like fish, bones or no bones

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Despite being an island nation with plenty of fish resources the Great British public don't eat as much fish as perhaps we should, unless it's battered and deep fried.

Most fish is incredibly good for you, providing you with the valuable protein hit of a good bit of beef, but without anywhere near as much saturated fat. Not to mention the Vitamin D, Omega 3 and iodine that does the human body such good.

According to the experts we should be eating fish at least twice a week as part of a healthy balanced diet, but very few Brits actually manage this much.

Thinking about this earlier, and with it being January when thoughts naturally turn to having a healthier lifestyle I decided to grill myself a nice fillet of sea bass. It was simple to cook and very tasty BUT finding the occasional bone was really irritating. If you don't catch them before taking a bite they can cause you some right oral grief and I think it is this more than anything else that stops me from enjoying portions of fish on a more regular basis.

So what about you? Do you get enough fish? Do you enjoy it? Or would you enjoy it more, and eat more, were there no bones to worry about?

grilled-seabass-22441365.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Interesting, I do enjoy seafood but not knowing the anatomy of some of them can be off putting re:bones or even knowing how to prepare certain fish for eating, what can be eaten and what cant etc.

Most of our seafood caught gets shipped abroad, mainly to the Continent I think which is a shame, as an Island nation we should be making better use of our own resources.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Definitely see your point. I eat very little fish apart from the ubiquitous cod in batter or poached haddock which is pretty much free of bones. I do occasionally eat other fish like bass, mackerel or trout but not often as they are too damn fiddly. Strange really as I am an angler on occasion and bring fish home for those indoors :shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just asked my wife the same question,

she said she's never heard of a morefish so wouldn't eat one :facepalm:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No and a interesting thread.
The fact we do not eat much fish bar cod and haddock in this country is odd.
I eat almost anything that comes out of the sea, I love all fish and seafood except whelks and jellied eels.
But even our fishermen do not eat much fish, if you go down to the quayside in Newlyn (Penzance) the cafes are full of fisherman eating meat.
Stark contrast to France and Spain, they all eat fish and seafood and make the most wonderful dishes.
Perhaps my most favourite all time meal is a well made seafood Paella.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have Skate, well Wray really, about once a fortnight from Marinos and that being my favourite fried fissh the bones dont worry me. I do occasionally have cod fillet and very occassionally Bass so bones arent a problem. Do not like flat fish like Plaice Lemon Sole etc or Huss. Love all seafood especially Squid.Jellied Eels etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You can buy fillets if you are irritated by bones. I eat seafood at least twice a week, not through nutritional value, but because I love it. A nicely made Goan curry goes down a treat.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I always tend to look for a fish dish when looking at the menu in a restaurant as I do find it a delicacy, some of my favourite meals I've ever eaten are mainly seafood If I think about it.

Last fish & chip shop I went to in Suffolk did the choice of cod in batter or just flour, had mine done in flour and it was so much nicer, retaining the flavour of the fish and not lost in a load of crispy batter.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You can buy fillets if you are irritated by bones. I eat seafood at least twice a week, not through nutritional value, but because I love it. A nicely made Goan curry goes down a treat.

But even the most carefully filleted fish isn't guaranteed bone free.

If I buy prepackaged fillets of sea bass or bream from the supermarket they will always have a few bones in them.

If I go to the fishmonger and spend a bit extra (compared to the supermarket), having them fillet it for me, it still has bones in it.

I mean don't get me wrong, I do enjoy fish and it is a regular part of my diet. I just think I'd eat a lot more if it were it as easy as, say, a nice ribeye steak.

Trouble is with some of the less bone-fiddly fish, such as tuna or swordfish, they're not cheap so dining on them regularly really does have an impact on the cost of your weekly shop, particularly if you're on a budget

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But even the most carefully filleted fish isn't guaranteed bone free.

If I buy prepackaged fillets of sea bass or bream from the supermarket they will always have a few bones in them.

If I go to the fishmonger and spend a bit extra (compared to the supermarket), having them fillet it for me, it still has bones in it.

I mean don't get me wrong, I do enjoy fish and it is a regular part of my diet. I just think I'd eat a lot more if it were it as easy as, say, a nice ribeye steak.

Trouble is with some of the less bone-fiddly fish, such as tuna or swordfish, they're not cheap so dining on them regularly really does have an impact on the cost of your weekly shop, particularly if you're on a budget

I'll probably regret this and be damned to a life of filleted fish bones now, but I rarely find a bone in fillets, or even steaks of cod or the likes. Must have been lucky thus far!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
SARDINES AND PILCHARDS HAVE LOADS OF BONES

still eat plenty of them though

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
When England won the World Cup in '66, fish and chips were the choice. Now it's all kebabs, burgers, fake pizzas and sausages in batter so you reap what you sow.
Fish for me. It's the coastal way.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Whiting should be made into Fish Cakes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last fish & chip shop I went to in Suffolk did the choice of cod in batter or just flour, had mine done in flour and it was so much nicer, retaining the flavour of the fish and not lost in a load of crispy batter.

Went to the Fish Factory in Brighton Rd Worthing nearly opposite The Egremont and had a brilliant meal as they cook the fish either char grilled, battered, fried in Matzo meal or steamed Looking at their menu they have now extended to include meat main courses like steak. Well worth a look at their menu and a visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here