Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you eat MORE fish if bones weren't an issue?

Do you eat much fish and are bones an issue?

• I do eat at least two portions of fish a week and bones don't bother me

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I eat two portions of fish a week but the bones do frustrate me

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I eat fish regularly though not twice a week and bones aren't a problem

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • I eat fish regularly though not twice a week however I might eat more were it not for the bones

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • I eat fish less regularly but it's not the bones preventing me from eating more

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I eat fish less regularly but would eat more were it not for the bones

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I don't like fish, bones or no bones

Votes: 14 12.8%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We have gone off fish as a nation I think, time was in Worthing there were about 6 wet fish shops plus all the fishermen selling their catch on the beach which numbered 6-12 stalls along the seafront.

People have become super wussy about a little bone or two, this sort of attitude led to the demise of the Herring fisheries along the south coast and the North Sea. Everybody seemed to eat fried Herrings with a slice or two of bread and butter and it was nutritious and cheap. Nowadays I know few people will even attempt a Herring unless it's a completely de-boned, boil in the bag, colourant filled Kipper fillet.
I go sea angling and catch a few bits and pieces from time to time and it's always better than anything you can buy in the shops. If people want to get back in to eating fish I would avoid the supermarkets with their fish counters laden with bronze Mackerel and pallid flatfish and buy from the lads on the beach. Fresh fish is marvellous but too much of what is provided in shops is awful quality and would put most people off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I got a set of fish knives and forks left to me, which are specially shaped to dig bones out of the fish as you eat it, so no danger of swallowing one by mistake.
I love all sorts of fish and eat it regularly.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Went to the Fish Factory in Brighton Rd Worthing nearly opposite The Egremont and had a brilliant meal as they cook the fish either char grilled, battered, fried in Matzo meal or steamed Looking at their menu they have now extended to include meat main courses like steak. Well worth a look at their menu and a visit.

Agree go there regular. The Sunday roast is good as well although I always feel a bit odd eating it in a fish restaurant

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was sure there was a fishing thread on here.
I sure as hell wasn't going to :bounce: the BREXIT fish thread, so this'll have to do.

One of our regular trip outs is along the coast to the River Arun.
Being a simple, easily pleased sort of chap at high tide I'm quite partial to staring over the railings looking for fish.

Naturally there's usually a few tiddlers nipping around under the jetties.

Not today, oh no, today there were 4 collosal fish frollicking under one little jetty.

I have no idea why but I was getting so excited watching them I sounded like a grockle.

Happy dayz.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a superb poll.

And yes, I reckon I eat about 10% less due to the BONE issue.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I always buy filleted. And also consume at least 1 can of tuna a week. I would like to eat more if I am honest.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
People have become super wussy about a little bone or two, this sort of attitude led to the demise of the Herring fisheries along the south coast and the North Sea.

People’s attitudes towards bones had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of the U.K. herring fishery, it was simply caused by overfishing. It was so bad that from 1977 to 1983 herring fishing was completely banned in the U.K.

I’d agree that once the ban was lifted, by that time the younger generation were no longer accustomed to herring on the menu and the market demand dropped considerably.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I sure as hell wasn't going to :bounce: the BREXIT fish thread, so this'll have to do.

Being a simple, easily pleased sort of chap at high tide I'm quite partial to staring over the railings looking for fish.

Not today, oh no, today there were 4 collosal fish frollicking under one little jetty.

I have no idea why but I was getting so excited watching them I sounded like a grockle.

Happy dayz.

Mullet [emoji16]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mullet [emoji16]

Nope I actually had it cut this morning.

Google image suggests 'no'.

These where proper big fish one of them certainly had a 'bit of a belly'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Love fish, hate bones – they put me off straight away. As a result, I don't eat as much fish as I would do if I was less bothered about the bones. Really annoying because I'll often consider a fish dish, but then wimp out of it in case I ruin it by getting 'boned' :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like sea fish, not a big fan of fresh water fish, so much of it tastes like mud. I even like tinned pilchards in tomato sauce.

bones are annoying but a good fishmonger can rid most fish of the vast majority.

I also like scampi nik naks, no bones in them.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
if you like fresh fish then never buy it in a supermarket , source a shop that buys direct from local boats like the ones at hove lagoon and newhaven harbor , supermarket fish has been through about 5 days worth of trading and transportation usually .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Happy dayz.
They would have been Mullet, great sport fish but inedible without a lot of preparation and loads of Garlic.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I like sea fish, not a big fan of fresh water fish, so much of it tastes like mud. I even like tinned pilchards in tomato sauce.

bones are annoying but a good fishmonger can rid most fish of the vast majority.

I also like scampi nik naks, no bones in them.

Love scampi nik naks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here