Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Determine the wattage of a dimmer switch

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A light we want to buy requires a 600w dimmer. A lower-powered switch may result in bulbs blowing and buzzing from the light.

We already have a dimmer switch in situ which came with the house. How do I find out the wattage of it (without killing myself)?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
A light we want to buy requires a 600w dimmer. A lower-powered switch may result in bulbs blowing and buzzing from the light.

We already have a dimmer switch in situ which came with the house. How do I find out the wattage of it (without killing myself)?

gently ease it off the wall without disconnecting the wireuse a torch or other
light to see the back
hey presto

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's no obvious way to get it off the wall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452430638.990663.jpg

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
There's no obvious way to get it off the wall.

View attachment 71294

Looks like the front plate is just clipped/snapped on....ease it off with a small screwdriver, there should be two 3.5mm screws holding the switch onto the back plate, remove and gently pull the switch away from the wall.....and the wattage should be written on the back of the switch.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Looks like the front plate is just clipped/snapped on....ease it off with a small screwdriver, there should be two 3.5mm screws holding the switch onto the back plate, remove and gently pull the switch away from the wall.....and the wattage should be written on the back of the switch.

precisely

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Having just searched for lightwave, it looks like it.

250w. Bollocks.

Can it be replaced with a dual 600w of the same physical size?

Depends what else is on the same circuit and what your breaker is rated at.

What is the load you're going to connect to it ?

EDIT: as you're not replacing like for like, I'd suggest getting a qualified electrician to check it for you

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

EDIT: as you're not replacing like for like, I'd suggest getting a qualified electrician to check it for you

I would not think there is any worry with overloading the extra 350w will only make a difference of an extra 1.5A maximum. As the switch looks fairly modern i would presume that there are a couple of lighting circuits and plenty of room to add lights etc.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

It may be cheaper to move :moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Determined getting in a sparks would be wise.

The other switch has wall lights - 6*28w.

Silly question, possibly: could we put 14*18w in the proposed new light to get it closer to 250w than the proposed 14*40w?

Ask a qualified tradesman? Or ask NSC?

What a ridiculous pair of options.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Determined getting in a sparks would be wise.

The other switch has wall lights - 6*28w.

Silly question, possibly: could we put 14*18w in the proposed new light to get it closer to 250w than the proposed 14*40w?

By putting 14 x 18w in, i think you would find that the dimming effect would be poor. It would probably either be full up or virtually off, with no real dimming effect in between.
I would be tempted to keep the switch (it looks nice) and swop the guts from a 250w to 600w. Keep the 14 x 40w and have it dimmed down to accommodate the wattage that the 6 wall lights will draw.....bearing in mind it wil lbe over 600w with all full on at the same time. If you just use a combination of wall lights off and 14 lights on, or other scenarios, then you should be fine. Unless you want airplanes landing in your back garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here