Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just got rid of ALL my CDs

Lush

Mods' Pet
Back in my youth, I used to listen to a lot of music but I can't remember the last time I put on a CD or listened to an album all the way through. I can't even be bothered with gigs.

Mostly I prefer peace and quiet at home, but if I want to listen to something I'll turn on 6 music or choose something at random on Spotify. I don't even use iTunes, so I've deleted all that.

So I've sold the last of my CDs to music magpie (while they're still worth something, if very little. Funnily enough, the CD worth the most was 'The Piranhas' (£3!).)

I have my old vinyl in the loft if I get a surge of nostalgia.

It feels strangely freeing. Anyone else found their music listening habits changing with age and technology?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I rarely play an actual CD, but have them all ripped and like listening to the whole collection on random. Also have hundreds of selected tracks for the morning alarm, the car, and my personal player. In the process of setting up a NAS, so I can listen to my collection from anywhere with a connection.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't even be bothered with gigs.

Anyone else found their music listening habits changing with age and technology?

I'm the opposite. I've found over time my music listening and gig going has intensified and is now a major part of my life where life decisions occur and friendships are made and strengthened. Holidays tend to take in a gig and friends visit and go to gigs.

I'm 47 and went to just over 40 gigs last year which is the most I've ever done, I still buy around 50 albums on CD and/vinyl a year and listen to 3 or 4 albums a day. I listen to new and old; for example I'm literally listening to the rather excellent new Bowie album now. I can't envisage this changing any time soon.

I use Spotify as a back up but my primary source is a physical purchase and the subsequent transfer to ipod when at work.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I've just ordered a new CD, Down to Believing by Allison Moorer, a former wife of Steve Earle. No other way to listen in the car or kitchen. But I can upload to Cocktail, Laptop and iPod and I get a digital down load for tablet and phone. I have a retro style cd and record player in the kitchen and keep a ready selection of albums handy from my collection. In my experience, what goes in the loft stays in the loft!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just can't bring myself to part with my VHS tapes, even tho I've got nothing to play them on. Got some real classic live tapes by Garbage, Oasis, U2, Black Grape etc. etc. also some rare(ish) comedy classics: Simpsons, Chewin' The Fat, Harry Enfield And chums etc. etc. OK, all doubtless easily replaceable on newer media or no media at all, but even so, it would feel so WRONG. Fair play for breaking the dependency chain [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] I admire your steely willpower.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh. I sold all my vinyl in the early 90s. A stupid decision I regret and have spent some time now on a program to purchase back copies of the long players I sold.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I just can't bring myself to part with my VHS tapes, even tho I've got nothing to play them on. Got some real classic live tapes by Garbage, Oasis, U2, Black Grape etc. etc. also some rare(ish) comedy classics: Simpsons, Chewin' The Fat, Harry Enfield And chums etc. etc. OK, all doubtless easily replaceable on newer media or no media at all, but even so, it would feel so WRONG. Fair play for breaking the dependency chain [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] I admire your steely willpower.

I bought a brand new VCR for £45, as I have some family VHS tapes, as well as favourite films.
I think I'm a bit of a squirrel as I still have vinyl from the 60s, cassette tapes and CDs. I don't want to part with them so my kids can do what they like with them when I'm gone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This isn't going to go down well over on the Albums 2016 thread where everyone's discussing getting more vinyl but I stuck mine in storage when we moved abroad and have never played it again. It's all pretty much 90s dance tracks anyway and a lot of it was scratched but I just haven't bothered. The vinyl renaissance has passed me by.

I could never let go of my CDs though. They are all over the house and added to regularly. When I'm not playing those I'm streaming over a high quality Sonos and am about to add another room.

Taste wise I play way MORE now than I did. Was always just in to dance music and indie but I now listen to a lot of jazz, classical and world music and getting very in to chilled folk rock type stuff (Fleet Foxes, C Duncan etc) that I would have hated in my 20s. Also trying to get my kids in to the classics (Beatles, Stones, Bowie) since my wife POISONS them with Heart FM in the car.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Back in my youth, I used to listen to a lot of music but I can't remember the last time I put on a CD or listened to an album all the way through. I can't even be bothered with gigs.
Mostly I prefer peace and quiet at home, but if I want to listen to something I'll turn on 6 music or choose something at random on Spotify. I don't even use iTunes, so I've deleted all that.

So I've sold the last of my CDs to music magpie (while they're still worth something, if very little. Funnily enough, the CD worth the most was 'The Piranhas' (£3!).)

I have my old vinyl in the loft if I get a surge of nostalgia.

It feels strangely freeing. Anyone else found their music listening habits changing with age and technology?

All of that, even the vinyls in the loft. I have stuff on iTunes (which I never listen to). When I survey my bank of CDs I cringe at the cash I've wasted...and hardly listened to. :shrug:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Ripped all my CDs onto a server about two years ago. Now I find I rarely listen to songs from the server, I find it quicker and easier to find tunes on Spotify. More than anything these days I just listen to Radio X.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I buy about 5 albums a month but it tends to get put straight on my computer and transferred to my phone. I have also jumped on the vinyl renaissance and dug out my old LP's (mostly 80/90s hip hop) as well as rebuying some old favourites as they get reissued.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Going even further back, would amount to cultural vandalism to bin live audio tapes of Joy Division and Oasis bootlegs. Must give some serious thought to preserving them digitally. That's a new year resolution right there!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few years ago we got rid of all CD and DVD cases and keep the discs alone in big binders. A massive space saving. I'm not sure we have had a new CD arrive in the house for three or four years now. Music listening at home tends to be via the Sonos - generally Deezer (probably Apple Music soon) and streamed radio stations.

The kids get the occasional Blu-ray, a Disney one generally, but that's about it for video. Watching is Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video.

I do all my reading electronically too - Kindle (incl. iPad Kindle apps) and iBooks.

The main usage of discs in the house now are for gaming, as the Wii was set up for the first time in years recently.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I just sold all my vinyl - have carted it around the world and never played it, so was semi forced into it in preparation for moving back to the UK. Sold it to a DJ/music industry mogul chap in Jo'burg and got a decent price for them - said it was one of the best collections he had seen for years and that all of my Cocteau Twins vinyl is now in his home collection. So at least it went to a good home.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I toyed with the idea but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Plus there would be a big empty space on the wall.
And the fact Magpie gives you a pittance for them!

Also have you seen how much they charge for an LP nowadays?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I buy tons of albums now new and second hand, like many I like to have a physical copy of all music I buy and the fact that cd's are ridiculously cheap now just makes me buy more.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
A few years ago we got rid of all CD and DVD cases and keep the discs alone in big binders. A massive space saving.

That's an interesting idea. Are these specially designed folders? Where did you get them?

boik

All my CDs are instantly ripped onto the NAS for playing anywhere in the house. A large selection of the vinyl is kept down the summerhouse which is a great place to listen without distractions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here