Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Wright in today's Sunday Times

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oxford United captain Jake Wright on his time at the Albion: "I played six games, tore my hamstring and the manager who signed me, Russell Slade, was sacked.

"What happened at Brighton made me into a proper captain. There was no team spirit, cliques everywhere and I wasn't made welcome by big-time players. Since then I've always made sure it's not like that wherever I've been."

I must say that Mr Wright somewhat passed me by. "Big-time players", eh?

Comments?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Oxford United captain Jake Wright on his time at the Albion: "I played six games, tore my hamstring and the manager who signed me, Russell Slade, was sacked.

"What happened at Brighton made me into a proper captain. There was no team spirit, cliques everywhere and I wasn't made welcome by big-time players. Since then I've always made sure it's not like that wherever I've been."

I must say that Mr Wright somewhat passed my by. "Big-time players", eh?

Comments?

Sounds like it was a dig at our then captain Nicky Forster?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jake Wright? Blimey I don't even remember him.

D

Deleted User X18H

He signed from Crawley in 2009. Big time players would have been Forster , Dickinson , Kuipers, Murray , Virgo and maybe Crofts.
Clique - Hart, Kuipers, Virgo, Hinshelwood. Mayo ??

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Jake who ?
Passed me by too although if he played in our home matches I would have seen him
Couldn't have made any lasting impression either as being brilliant or rubbish therefore presumably bang average

Until I read this I was blissfully unaware of Jake Wright and that he played for us.

I fully expect that in 30 minutes I will have forgotten again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Jake who ?
Passed me by too although if he played in our home matches I would have seen him
Couldn't have made any lasting impression either as being brilliant or rubbish therefore presumably bang average

According to Soccerbase he started two games at Withdean, against Walsall - the first match of the season - and MK Dons, both 1-0 defeats.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would that have been the start of the Poyet era? Maybe Gus took the piss out of him on the training ground, not an unknown occurrence according to Vicente.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Would that have been the start of the Poyet era? Maybe Gus took the piss out of him on the training ground, not an unknown occurrence according to Vicente.

If he was injured before Gus arrived, then maybe. Vicente didn't think GP had much time for injured players. His last appearance for us was as a sub at Tranmere on October 17. I presume he was injured in training after that, as he didn't come off at Prenton Park. But he was fit enough to play on loan for Oxford on Jan 16, which is quite good going.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He cost £150,000 from Crawley, he was a bad bit of business but a decent enough player. His problem was fairly typical of a left footer, assumed he would be able to play both centre back and left back, but is only really comfortable at centre back. He played very well in a JPT game away at Leyton Orient, partnering Tommy Elphick at centre back, but we lost that game to a late goal and he never really got much of a chance after that.

An easily forgettable player from the Withdean era, but seriously, it was only 7 years ago.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I remember Jake Wright being recruited along with James Tunnicliffe and Liam Dickinson - another summer of wasting the chairman's money on tosh!

We will all remember Russell Slade fondly but it was no surprise that we struggled again that following season - but it did lead to the Gus era which was the start of an upturn so all good!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I remember Jake Wright being recruited along with James Tunnicliffe and Liam Dickinson - another summer of wasting the chairman's money on tosh!

We will all remember Russell Slade fondly but it was no surprise that we struggled again that following season - but it did lead to the Gus era which was the start of an upturn so all good!

Also signed Mark Wright in that window who was then sold a month or so later. Good times.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

In fairness to Slade, while did sign rubbish, he got in Elliott Bennett, who we later sold for a profit on all of his signings put together.

Dicker and Navarro were belters too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds like it was a dig at our then captain Nicky Forster?

That occurred to me too. Slade was sacked in October, Poyet started in November and Nicky Forster was out on his ear at the end of January. We were in the relegation zone when Slade was sacked but ended up 11th at the end of the season.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wasnt he signed off the back of a good performance against us for Crawley in a pre season friendly? I vaguely remember him being highly spoke of at L2 & Conference levels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here