Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee shop culture - how long do you spend in Costa etc ?

Do you spend a lot of time with or without your family in these ?

• Tax avoiding Starbucks ? (Allegedly)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Costa - good reward scheme ?

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Nero - strange reward scheme ?

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • The one that was Ray Blooms Good Bean ( name escapes me) ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small Batch a little bitter tasting perhaps ?

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Presuming Ed a little pretentious for its location maybe ?

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Nescafé ?

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D

Deleted User X18H

My self and Mrs HB&B were somewhat alarmed by the amount of money and time we spent on coffee shops last year.

Are they the new pubs ?

Yesterday me and the long suffering shared a large latte ( takeaway cup ) it's almost like we plan a visit to a coffee shop and anything else like shopping is secondary or even incidental.
We had a long chat about coffee shop culture especially as a baby chino has gone up. Although free in Starbucks. We don't frequent Nero

They even have a Small Batch at the Dyke Road Tavern now. So there is even temptation on a simple walk to the park. Gone are the days of the Sunday meat raffle and MIcheal Jayston.

So she suggested I ask the oracle for it's thoughts.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

You shared a coffee? Like, you didn't get your own one?

Back to the question: zero time. I don't like coffee.
Yes Daz everyone has to tighten their belts at this time of year. Shirley.
And we sneaked in our own biscuits

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My self and Mrs HB&B were somewher alarmed by the amount of money and time we spent on coffee shops last year.

Are they the new pubs ?

Yesterday me and the long suffering shared a large latte ( takeaway cup ) it's almost like we plan a visit to a coffee shop and anything else like shopping it secondary or even incidental.
We had a long chat about coffee shop culture especially as baby chino has gone up. Although free in Starbucks. We don't frequent Nero

So she suggested I ask the oracle for it's thoughts.

Somehow I think it's going to be a long day on here:moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes Daz everyone has to tighten their belts at this time of year. Shirley.
And we sneaked in our own biscuits

I suspect the size and pricing structure is such that a gigissimo (or whatever poncy word they use instead of 'large') is about 20p more than the medium which is about 20p more than the small. So the 'large' is probably the value option. Can you ask them for a second cup so you can don't actually have to share the same cup?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hotel lounges - even high end hotels - are much better value for coffee.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'll only go to a chain cafe for a Christmas-special coffee. Gingerbread latte etc!

Other than that, I'll occasionally pop into Intenso Espresso Bar on Portland Road.

D

Deleted User X18H

I suspect the size and pricing structure is such that a gigissimo (or whatever poncy word they use instead of 'large') is about 20p more than the medium which is about 20p more than the small. So the 'large' is probably the value option. Can you ask them for a second cup so you can don't actually have to share the same cup?
We considered decanting into an auxiliary receptacle.
However in Burger King a short while ago (Goldstone Retail sorry ) we asked for an extra cup to help expedite the cooling of my son's tea. You know pouring back and forth. But they refused as apparently we could help ourselves to the free vend. I found this humiliating. So I won't be asking for an extra cup again .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It is from their point of view. Essentially you're paying 20p for more hot water so it's almost 100% profit. Same principle used by McDonalds and their 'supersizing'. Supersize your meal for 75p or whatever ? 5p worth of fries and virtually no-cost for additional coke.

Anyway, quite a bit for me. Me and her indoors probably have a coffee out somewhere 2-3 times a week, she does with pals most days and at work for me it's almost a habit - largely driven by a shortage of meeting rooms

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I very occasionally buy a coffee when I'm out. Would look for an independent or failing that Cafe Nero. Mostly the coffee i drink i make myself at home with an aeropress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here