Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson/Pointless

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Former PNE and Liverpool defender Mark "Brighton who?" Lawrenson appeared on Pointless this evening. He very "unselfishly" introduced himself as a "retired genious". His first task was to name a Country beginning with A L S or T ...his attempt ...Alaska [emoji33] Genious indeed ....

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
He was on Fighting Talk this morning as well. One trick pony constantly repeating a solitary gag about the scoring being unfair.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I think we're a bit divided on Lawro. A lot of vitriol on here for him, but I believe those of us of a certain age will always regard him in high esteem.
Along with the Wardy, the greatest player I ever saw pull on the stripes; just a privilege to watch him play.
Ok, so he comes across not so well on tv to some people; but I like his honesty when giving an opinion, plus he's stayed loyal to his home town club.
He spoke up well for us in the dark days & marched for Falmer. Club legend in my book, sorry.

p.s. It's genius.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think we're a bit divided on Lawro. A lot of vitriol on here for him, but I believe those of us of a certain age will always regard him in high esteem.
Along with the Wardy, the greatest player I ever saw pull on the stripes; just a privilege to watch him play.
Ok, so he comes across not so well on tv to some people; but I like his honesty when giving an opinion, plus he's stayed loyal to his home town club.
He spoke up well for us in the dark days & marched for Falmer. Club legend in my book, sorry.

p.s. It's genius.

Agreed. Regardless of what a tosser he may or may not be.

I think some don't like the fact he always goes on about being a Liverpool player and hardly ever mentions Brighton. But to be fair he achieved a hell of a lot more with them than us.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

p.s. It's genius.

I was of the era growing up watching Lawrenson play for the Albion.
Got his autograph a few times, no problems with that.
He has got a great sense of humour if you really watch him on TV.
Great player for Brighton, and as said here, a club legend.
Nothing in the current side to rival him yet. :bowdown:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've met him a few times. Always speaks fondly about the Albion. His sense of humour doesn't appeal but I suspect he could say the same about mine. It doesn't make him a prick IMO.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I watched Pointless and I thought he was funny, doesn't seem to take life too seriously.

I was lucky enough to see him play for Brighton, excellent player one of my all time favourite BHA players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was a great player and is a good bloke. When I went to Tampa he was friendly with the manager of The Oxford Moal house , as was Oxford manager Brian Horton. I had both dinner and breakfast with both on many many occassions. In coversation I said I was taking the family to Disney in Florida and he said he was going to play for the Rowdies for 6 weeks and invited me and the family to their game and after reception with him and Wardy. We had a great time for which I will always be grateful. He did tell me he broke up with his girl friend in Brighton because she wouldnt move to Liverpool with him, as he said my job takes me to other places you either follow me or we call it a day. They broke up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How needy do you have to be to seek adulation from Mark Lawrenson?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think some don't like the fact he always goes on about being a Liverpool player and hardly ever mentions Brighton. But to be fair he achieved a hell of a lot more with them than us.
I think the OP was pointing to the fact he also mentioned Preston, not us, although I think he played more games for us.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I watched Pointless and I thought he was funny, doesn't seem to take life too seriously.

I was lucky enough to see him play for Brighton, excellent player one of my all time favourite BHA players.

no,nor do I,but I take Pointless seriously,was Lesotho a pointless answer? :lol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He was a great player and is a good bloke. When I went to Tampa he was friendly with the manager of The Oxford Moal house , as was Oxford manager Brian Horton. I had both dinner and breakfast with both on many many occassions. In coversation I said I was taking the family to Disney in Florida and he said he was going to play for the Rowdies for 6 weeks and invited me and the family to their game and after reception with him and Wardy. We had a great time for which I will always be grateful. He did tell me he broke up with his girl friend in Brighton because she wouldnt move to Liverpool with him, as he said my job takes me to other places you either follow me or we call it a day. They broke up.

I wouldn't dispute that he was a good bloke at all, just his explanation of his girlfriend troubles.
I knew him during his time with us, and, as you say, a cracking bloke, but a real fanny rat, to use the vernacular of the time.
I was told that his young lady decided a relationship was more meaningful, if there was only two people in it, not multiple partners on one side.
I loved his TR 7, and Old English asheepdog though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here