Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many people who thing the FA cup is a distraction went to the cup final?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is interesting, and maybe misreading it, but in the two threads about today's game it looks as though the more older posters are really fecked off at our dismal effort in the FA Cup.

Is that because a few of us remember in my opinion the greatest day of our clubs history, the FA Cup final at Wembley when we were watched by most of the worlds sports fans on one fantastic day? And we know just how it could be.

Or is it that our fans now seem to think that our efforts should just be concentrated on getting to a premier league that some on here treat with distain? So in effect writing off all forms of cup competitions.

Interesting if the younger members of our fan base care not a jot about anything but the league.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I went to both games at Wembley. I agree that it was the most important game in our history. However the fa have devalued the competition since man u were given a by one year. I no longer care. That would be different however if we were in the latter stages.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I was at the Cup Final back in 83 and yes what a run it was, however I am not too bothered about today's result.
The league is much more important, we are in a great position and don't need any more distractions considering our injury list.
We are out of the cup which is no big surprise, now let's push on in the league.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I was there. The fa cup we know today died the day the.FA allowed Man Utd to opt out. It was probably dying before that point. In the days when.the cup meant something id have been more disappointed today. As it is I viewed it as an unnecessary distraction just as I did the Walsall game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most years I love the FA cup but it was a lousy draw, we have a good chance of doing something special in the league, and we have had loads of injuries.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I was at both final games,and still find the cup, as a "Welcome " distraction.However i can also see it does have its issues,with clubs and some fans. Does it need revamping ?A Champions league place for the winners,or a play off with 4th place has been suggested in the past,maybe a chance for B teams as well......

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
BIG BIG clubs are not interested Leeds only got 16000 at home to another Yorkshire club....
Hull v BHA 10000.

Man Utd on TV are showing gaps in the stands....the FA cup has lost importance until it gets to quarter finals unless you are a plucky little club.....

Getting to Premier league is way more important than a cup run and a one off game against , maybe Man City.

Its about money every week not a one off payment..
FA Cup I dont give a toss this season.

I was at the Cup Final back in 83 and yes what a run it was, however I am not too bothered about today's result.
The league is much more important, we are in a great position and don't need any more distractions considering our injury list.
We are out of the cup which is no big surprise, now let's push on in the league.

This reflects my background and opinion on today's result to the letter.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes, I was at both Cup Final games in '83. An amazing experience to see The Albion's at Wembley and to play so well in the first game. What a few days that was. Ho hum. The FA Cup meant so much back in those days.

Generally I would prefer to see The Albion do well in the Cup but with our current injury situation and lack of quality across the squad I fear that a Cup run would only risk our chances in the league with fixture congestion and further injuries. Maybe it would be a different story had we not been in contention and therefore have a real go at the Cup.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The F.A. have ruined the Cup, starting with the commercial sponsorship, followed by the decision to bring in penalty shoot-outs instead of replays, having each round, stretching over a four day period, and semi finals at Wembley,as well as the decision to let the mancs go to the World Club finals, instead of the third round.

And, the disgraceful decision not to send of the assassin, Whiteside for his violent assault on Chris Ramsey in the 83 Final

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Couldn't care less about the cup this year when we're pushing for promotion, we can have a good run in the cup next year when we're sitting midtable in the prem.

D

Deleted User X18H

I went , super day out . Bit too young to appreciate it fully . Different era . Different game and certainly a different town (city) Most p people in my street then were born in B&H .

Mind that will happen in about 15 years time again.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Premier league is worth so much money. It's a different era to the cup final days. It's so much more important to get into the PL.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

I was there too - what he said!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went to both games and wouldnt have missed them for the world but as many have said it is a different game now 1983 nobody put out weak teams but even as low as The Championship do now It has been seriously devalued

Last edited:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
It is interesting, and maybe misreading it, but in the two threads about today's game it looks as though the more older posters are really fecked off at our dismal effort in the FA Cup.

Is that because a few of us remember in my opinion the greatest day of our clubs history, the FA Cup final at Wembley when we were watched by most of the worlds sports fans on one fantastic day? And we know just how it could be.

Or is it that our fans now seem to think that our efforts should just be concentrated on getting to a premier league that some on here treat with distain? So in effect writing off all forms of cup competitions.

Interesting if the younger members of our fan base care not a jot about anything but the league.

Went to every cup game that year!

But it's blatantly obvious we have an opportunity to get to the promised land of the Premier league and we do not have the squad for extra matches for any cup!

I'm happy we're out!

If we had the money and size of squad to do both it would be different...but it is what it is and it's the priority of the league that takes priority!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Put simply, we could not afford a cup run with our very thin squad if we are to have any chance of making the playoffs. The cup is for clubs who have nothing else to aim for or who have big competitive squads. I am pleased we are out and yes I went to Liverpool and both Cup Finals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here