Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull v Albion reserves - post-match analysis

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Have to say I feel genuinely sorry for those fans who travelled up from Sussex to watch that.

Playing a 5-4-1 formation yet the team had no real shape, awareness or passion about them. Even Calderon couldn't be arsed today which says something of the mindset of the team during today's performance.

Dunk's diving challenge on to the floor to take out the Hull player was a clear penalty, we haven't even got that to debate.

Hard to think of anything positive to post considering we only had 2 shots all game, one of which hit the bar in the last minute. Good to see Baldock and LuaLua being eased back in, hopefully they can get some more minutes behind them on Tuesday at Rotherham.

Highlight, if you can call it that, was giving the group of 4 or 5 Hull wannabes stood next to us in the home end a fair bit of abuse. Personal favourite was "wanker in a tracksuit, la la la la" who was quite a good double of Rodney Trotter.

Back to the importance of the League games coming up beginning on Tuesday, but on today's showing none of our weaker players deserve a chance in the first team. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a few moved on after today.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Oh and credit to whoever started "Elvis Manu, he's always offside" had the away end in stitches of laughter

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
4-0 would not have been surprising, so a positive is that our back-up keeper had a good game. Lacked communication with centre-halves but some very good shot-stopping and a couple of effective punches.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
What your thoughts on Towell & Ridgewell RM?
Hard to analyse really after such a non-competitive performance but I'd say Ridgewell was the better of the two. Towell looked off the pace and gave the ball away a few times, be better to judge them after Tuesday I think

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Impotent display and I thought the starting formation was 3-6-1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Their away supporters bar at the ground was shit, nowhere to sit down, can of Worthngtons £3.80 but a free pie

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hard to analyse really after such a non-competitive performance but I'd say Ridgewell was the better of the two. Towell looked off the pace and gave the ball away a few times, be better to judge them after Tuesday I think

Thanks

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I don't feel sorry for the fans that travelled, fair play to them all for the trip and commitment they constantly give, I wish I had the money and time to do it, but they must have all known it would be a scratch side put out and we all know our "Scratch" side is just not very good. If they thought different them I am gobsmacked, When I saw the starting 11, you instantly thought set up for replay and a 0-0 as there was not a goal in that side.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I don't feel sorry for the fans that travelled, fair play to them all for the trip and commitment they constantly give, I wish I had the money and time to do it, but they must have all known it would be a scratch side put out and we all know our "Scratch" side is just not very good. If they thought different them I am gobsmacked, When I saw the starting 11, you instantly thought set up for replay and a 0-0 as there was not a goal in that side.
I feel sorry for them having to witness such a toothless and non-competitive Albion side play for 90 minutes. There was no commitment from any players really, surely if fans go up and make the effort then the team should put some effort in too?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I would say that Hemed looked very up for it when he came on... Constantly trying to win the ball back but nothing going on around him...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I feel sorry for them having to witness such a toothless and non-competitive Albion side play for 90 minutes. There was no commitment from any players really, surely if fans go up and make the effort then the team should put some effort in too?

But they all knew that CH was resting all the key players. The balance left is just not good enough and today showed that. CH was honest all week as he said he was going to rest key players. Roll on Tuesday. We look to have a good squad again now and 8 or 9 of those involved today won't be on the bus.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Thought it was mission accomplished. We set up not to win but not to be heavily embarassed. Hull picked a stronger side lost two main players to injury (according to radio Humberside) and now are stuck with a cup distraction which I think may cost them even more problems. Same applies to Derby ,Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday. It was good to see some fringe players, a couple of newbies and returning casualties.
Maenpaa showed he is an excellent backup for DS Ridgewell was not a convincing left back, better than Calde?? Richie Towell looked lost not sure of his role and was really off the pace, passing generally short or poorly executed. Baldock was lively had a shot, wide but at least a shot. Kaz looked rusty as of course he should, but got valuable game time. Rohan Ince got stuck in but really had to make up for Holla Towell and Chicksen. Crofts helped with a number of blocks and challenges, hit the bar at the end. The Pen was the only way they could get past our custodian and it was hand ball by the Hull player before Dunkies ridiculous challenge...why does he do this?
So the ultimate winnners are ourselves and Middlesborough who I really feel will benefit from an exit at this stage. Looking forward to Rotherham now when a much stronger Brighton side will I am sure go for it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Had limited expectations from this game and I guess that's pretty much how it turned out. The league is the obvious priority so it was understandable that we would see a significantly reshuffled team.

We struggle without Stephens and Kayal, so a battling and honourable 1-0 loss and exit from the FA Cup would not be a complete disaster. However we didn't quite reach those 'heights' with what was a lacklustre display. Only thanks to Maenpaa that we avoided a battering from a strong Hull team.

The omens did not look good when there seemed to be a lack of spark from certain fringe players during the warm up routines, despite Calderwood overseeing things. Perhaps he is brilliant at coaching behind the scenes or in motivational speaking but it was disappointing to see an inanimate Calderwood fail to kick any backsides. Those players won't have helped their causes.

Interesting to see the debuts for Towell and Ridgewell. Towell showed a couple of nice touches but was mostly off the pace, which is to be expected.

Ridgewell looked steady despite playing in a back 3 that allowed Hull a bit too much space when they broke.

Despite packing our midfield and only playing Manu up front we struggled to maintain any cohesive possession and looked woefully short on ideas. We were lucky that Hull did not exploit more of the opportunities we gifted them. The contrast in Hull's direct attacking play compared to our ponderous sideways or backwards movement was painfully conspicuous.

Despite managing my expectations before the game it was saddening to see our Dutch contingent plumb the depths again. Surely they will not see an Albion first team shirt again....?

No doubt Dunk will attract some flak for conceding the penalty - he had to prevent a certain goal, but maybe not impede the attacker so blatantly..... Pity the Officials missed a handball by Hull in the build up. On the other hand Dunk could easily have got a second yellow card. He did redeem himself with an excellent last ditch block in the 2nd half.

Positives: The welcome return of KLL and Baldock. Above all the performance of Maenpaa who saved our blushes with some excellent saves. On this performance would be a decent deputy for Stockdale. My MoM.

This was a one off game and we can now focus on the league with our strongest available line up. It will be very timely to introduce Knockaert's trickery into our armoury.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Did Chicksen cement his place as left back in 'Worst Albion XI' of Amex era?

Thought that Chicksen was one of the few to come out of yesterday with any respect. Played in a more advanced role on the wing and was finding lots of room, just wasn't receiving the ball through no fault of his own.

Made a couple good blocks and reading of the game was on point.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thought that Chicksen was one of the few to come out of yesterday with any respect. Played in a more advanced role on the wing and was finding lots of room, just wasn't receiving the ball through no fault of his own.

Made a couple good blocks and reading of the game was on point.
Good to hear, was slated everywhere else.
Thanks Adam

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here