Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

egypt holiday

collins91

Jan 21, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I am going on holiday to Egypt as some of you may know from my previous thread after the terrorist attack at Sharm el-Sheikh. I wasn't so worried because I'm not going to sharm but i now have doubts because i am going to Hurghada. I have called the travel agent and unfortunately i have to either go or take a loss, i was surprised at there response but i didn't see any terrorist activity when i booked the holiday with a couple of friends. We will lose around £1,800 if we don't go, what would you do ?

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I would go or u lose to much money, but be keep safe..

Not many places safe to travel these days but I wouldn't book up Egypt or turkey any more

U should try get advice against the travel agents, because I bet your not the only ones changing there mind

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
From Simon Calder:

Where does that leave British holidaymakers with bookings to Hurghada –can they switch or claim on their travel insurance?

They would have booked while the Foreign Office was warning of "a high threat of terrorism" to the country, and have no automatic rights to cancel without penalty. Unless the Foreign Office warns against travel to the main resorts –and experience suggests that such a change would take a very serious atrocity indeed –then flights and holidays will go ahead as planned. If you want to change then you are likely to lose some or all of your money. And "disinclination to travel"is not an insurable risk.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
From Simon Calder:

Where does that leave British holidaymakers with bookings to Hurghada –can they switch or claim on their travel insurance?

They would have booked while the Foreign Office was warning of "a high threat of terrorism" to the country, and have no automatic rights to cancel without penalty. Unless the Foreign Office warns against travel to the main resorts –and experience suggests that such a change would take a very serious atrocity indeed –then flights and holidays will go ahead as planned. If you want to change then you are likely to lose some or all of your money. And "disinclination to travel"is not an insurable risk.

Simon Calder is usually spot on

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am going on holiday to Egypt as some of you may know from my previous thread after the terrorist attack at Sharm el-Sheikh. I wasn't so worried because I'm not going to sharm but i now have doubts because i am going to Hurghada. I have called the travel agent and unfortunately i have to either go or take a loss, i was surprised at there response but i didn't see any terrorist activity when i booked the holiday with a couple of friends. We will lose around £1,800 if we don't go, what would you do ?

You are welcome to borrow my helmet:moo:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Go. I was talking to an Egyptian this morning who said that clearly whilst distressing the police intercepted the would be attackers before they got anywhere near any more tourists and that the attack was criminal in nature.

Compare that to Paris with all the western/modern security techniques and the carnage that was able to ensue in a large concert venue - if you were booked to go to Paris for a weekend would you now not go? Of course you would.

Go. We can't let them win.

On that note I went to Hurghada in Nov 14 and travelled to Luxor and back by road, did trips, went diving etc and had an amazing time. Friendlier people you could not wish to meet.

Where are you staying?

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
How much did you pay. I got friend who going again in March very cheap at the moment they look after you well. Don't let them win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here