Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrisons to donate all unsold food

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
About time too, it's disgraceful how much perfectly fine food gets thrown away by supermarkets. Hope others follow suit.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
About time too, it's disgraceful how much perfectly fine food gets thrown away by supermarkets. Hope others follow suit.

I remember when I worked at safeways when i was at school, many moons ago, at the end of the evening, staff could buy bags of bread/cakes/bakery stuff for 5p a bag before they got thrown away. Some pricks nicked some once, so they stopped that and just chucked the stuff away instead.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
By the way did Clinton get on the field against Liverpool last night? Got some fond memories of him scoring elsewhere... in the squad at 37 is pretty good going considering how much football he's played over the years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like Morrisons, and although we have to travel to the next town to shop there, we save an average of £15 a week, rather than use Sainsbury.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I remember when I worked at safeways when i was at school, many moons ago, at the end of the evening, staff could buy bags of bread/cakes/bakery stuff for 5p a bag before they got thrown away. Some pricks nicked some once, so they stopped that and just chucked the stuff away instead.

Someone at Morry's in Seaford a few years back used to go in late on Thursday nights and buy up all their cooked chickens left over, he used to haggle with the manager. A lot of them were then given to the local fox population in his village, much to the annoyance of the hunting/shooting brigade.

RIP Peter, you were a laugh.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nothing to say, just this was sitting next to the Shoreham Fatty thread and it looked wrong.

When Lidl first opened here they used to line all the soon to be out of date bakery produce next to the checkouts for people to take for free! I used to grab the occassional loaf for the freezer but weirdly felt guilty at doing so. They stopped doing this as people (possibly from Worthing?) were coming in, not actually shopping but walking out with armfuls of the stuff.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Quite often, people don't appreciate the cost to supermarkets in donating food waste. The man hours to sort it, the cost of storing it, the cost of writing it off, the cost of delivering it. Jon Oliver covered it on his show, providing a decent argument defending the supermarkets that don't do it, over in the US they have some tax incentives to encourage it, but they can be stopped at any moment, leaving Supermarkets with large bills to pay.

I don't know how much of that carries over to the UK, but I suspect there is a large cost that isn't often appreciated by critics of supermarket waste. Which is why Morrisons deserve the praise they get for this.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Worked in an M&S deli when they were first rolled out a few years ago, one summer whilst home from Uni.

Because nobody had a clue how much stock to order, it being new and all, the amount of waste we had was incredible. On average I reckon we used to take home between £200 - £300 worth of food a week, all of it being M&S finest. I remember one night walking home with about £400 worth of fillet steak, luckily we had a back up freezer. However it all had to be done quietly as it was breaking whatever rules M&S had.

The reason we were given that it couldn't be given to charity was due to the fact that if someone becomes ill, M&S could be sued?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I persoanally do not like the quality of Morrisons fresh produce like meat and veg I found it has to be used that day or it goes off. I think that the reason they are in trouble is because they expanded too quickly to conquer the South and this has failed. If they chose to give the stuff away good for them. A publican I know did a deal with his local Sainsburys manager to go there at closing time and bought all fresh produce at even greater reduced prices and used that as the basis of his cooking in the pub the next day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unlike ASDA and Teso the Sainsburys in HH do not reduce their fresh bread near closing because the manager says it just encourages people to come shopping later and buying the stuff at reduced prices. The same was said at a bakers next door to our pub in Midhurst when we had it they just threw it away, or the girls brought the cakes into me in the pub and put them down as thrown away unbeknown to the manageress.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I work on the back door of a large supermarket, so see all the waste because we're responsible for the paperwork, correct labelling and returning of the waste. Whilst as a normal person you know it's a lot of waste, I couldn't quite believe how much does just get wasted off. Our store has got better, but previously even damaged stuff that should have been marked down and sold at either 1/2 price or even 1/4 price (as company policy was), was thrown away because it was cheaper and easier for the store. To waste something off, you just have to scan it quick, so wasting off loads of stock is relatively easy and quick for a colleague (and thus, cheap for the supermarket). A lot of the stuff that could be marked down, is so low value stock, it's not financially worth employing someone to deal with all potential waste mark downs argue management. Not to mention employees might start abusing it, damaging goods themselves to be marked down and sold cheaper to them!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Utter tosh.

That is what I have found but your experience may be different but I told my sister in law this some time ago and sho disagreed. She uses Worthing and Wick one and has come around to agreeing with me and like me only buys prepacked goods and fresh only if she is going to use it for dinner that night or if they have steak on offer then she buys it and puts it straight in the freezer when gets home, exactly the same as me.

Incidentally a chef I know, from a posh restaurant, maintains that LIDL veg is by far the best of all supermarkets and uses it all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here