Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding / Over the limit, Alarm Response

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Any police or anyone else know whether there is any leniency shown to the above 'crimes' in the event of someone attending an alarm call.

Just having a last glass of wine about 12.30 when my phone went, it was the alarm company saying there was a confirmed intruder in my shop, and the police had been called. I live about 8 miles away, so put my foot down, empty roads, well over the speed limit. Got there, 2 cars and 4 cops, they said they thought it was a power cut, as no signs of forced entry, and a neighbour had told them he had had one. Obviously checked the premises, and no intruder. Thanked them and apologised for wasting their time. He must have smelt the wine on my breath, I'd had a couple of glasses with dinner about 7.30ish, then was on my second of 2 that I started about 11ish. Might have been over, might not have been. Obviously I was coherent and not staggering out of the car, but he must have smelt it.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Absolutely no leniency at all, it is one of those you either are or you are not sort of cases. I take it you have been charged in which case the magistrates may let you keep your licence if you can show that you would not be able to work without it. I doubt it though.
Unless of course you are an overpaid footballer with a megabucks Barrister.
Drink driving :nono:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Absolutely no leniency at all, it is one of those you either are or you are not sort of cases. I take it you have been charged in which case the magistrates may let you keep your licence if you can show that you would not be able to work without it. I doubt it though.
Unless of course you are an overpaid footballer with a megabucks Barrister.
Drink driving :nono:

No, not at all, he never mentioned it, maybe I was just paranoid, couldn't find any mints/gum, and obviously in a rush. As I say, may or may not have been over

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
When I said he 'must have' I meant I would have thought he would have been able to, not as in 'must have' as he pulled me up on it !! If that makes sense

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
No, not at all, he never mentioned it, maybe I was just paranoid, couldn't find any mints/gum, and obviously in a rush. As I say, may or may not have been over

Not exactly sure what you are on about to be honest, if he never mentioned it then he can't have breathalysed you? In which case he did not do his job correctly or never smelt it.
I have never known any police show leniency over drink driving, speeding yes but not drink driving

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Not exactly sure what you are on about to be honest, if he never mentioned it then he can't have breathalysed you? In which case he did not do his job correctly or never smelt it.
I have never known any police show leniency over drink driving, speeding yes but not drink driving[/QU

I don't think I explained myself properly, apologies, so I did speed, and possibly may have been over the drink drive limit, if I was, it would have been marginal. Hypothetically, i was asking if I was suspected of either, would there be any mitigation bearing in mind the circumstances. You've said no, so fair enough, question answered !!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I have never known any police show leniency over drink driving, speeding yes but not drink driving[/QU

I don't think I explained myself properly, apologies, so I did speed, and possibly may have been over the drink drive limit, if I was, it would have been marginal. Hypothetically, i was asking if I was suspected of either, would there be any mitigation bearing in mind the circumstances. You've said no, so fair enough, question answered !!

Jail

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Any police or anyone else know whether there is any leniency shown to the above 'crimes' in the event of someone attending an alarm call.

Just having a last glass of wine about 12.30 when my phone went, it was the alarm company saying there was a confirmed intruder in my shop, and the police had been called. I live about 8 miles away, so put my foot down, empty roads, well over the speed limit. Got there, 2 cars and 4 cops, they said they thought it was a power cut, as no signs of forced entry, and a neighbour had told them he had had one. Obviously checked the premises, and no intruder. Thanked them and apologised for wasting their time. He must have smelt the wine on my breath, I'd had a couple of glasses with dinner about 7.30ish, then was on my second of 2 that I started about 11ish. Might have been over, might not have been. Obviously I was coherent and not staggering out of the car, but he must have smelt it.

Speeding = Probable leniency

Drink Driving = Charged

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Judging by the state of your posts don't think you should have been driving !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As far as speeding goes, a court can impose an Absolute Discharge if a genuine emergency can be established; the only one I've ever seen was a routine patient transfer in a non-emergency ambulance (driver not blue light qualified) where the patient suffered a heart attack. The driver put his foot down and got pinged by a speed camera. In evidence he produced a letter from an A&E consultant stating that getting there ASAP was of paramount importance.

The same provisions apply for Excess Alcohol but are much less rarely used.

In my opinion, attending an alarm as a keyholder would not qualify as an emergency

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

2 glasses with dinner. 2 later.

If they were large glasses that is a bottle.

Not good.

Other than rushing someone dying to hospital when ambulances can't get there in time, I don't see any mitigating circumstances for that amount.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
This.......driving after (almost) 4 glasses......genuinely irresponsible in my book I'm afraid. You've got away with it so count your blessings.

It wasn't as bad as that, was a 3 hour break between first 2, and was halfway through the 2nd of the later 2, I would think there wasn't much if any left of the first 2 in my bloodstream by the time I had another later on. Obviously if I had just necked a bottles worth I wouldn't have driven. I realise I was silly and perhaps got away with it, but 3 and a half glasses over 5 and a half hours is not that excessive. they weren't particularly large either

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Sounds like you would have got away with it until you decided to post your confession on here. It won't be hard for them to work out who you are now so you should expect a knock on the door any time soon and your post to be used in court against you as evidence

i'm joking btw

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It wasn't as bad as that, was a 3 hour break between first 2, and was halfway through the 2nd of the later 2, I would think there wasn't much if any left of the first 2 in my bloodstream by the time I had another later on. Obviously if I had just necked a bottles worth I wouldn't have driven. I realise I was silly and perhaps got away with it, but 3 and a half glasses over 5 and a half hours is not that excessive. they weren't particularly large either
Fair enough

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sounds like you would have got away with it until you decided to post your confession on here. It won't be hard for them to work out who you are now so you should expect a knock on the door any time soon and your post to be used in court against you as evidence

i'm joking btw
No chance. No evidence.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not going to comment about whether you were or not as its all variable anyway.

However I would assume that one wouldn't get off either offence. Yes, the alarm was going off but you were notifid that the Police were on their way. There would be no need to get there that quickly as the professionals were going in and would secure the premises

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here