Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving to Hull tonight - M25 lottery

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Multi vehicle accident at Clacket Lane so considering M25 then M1 going clockwise round the M25. Anyone know what it's like around Heathrow these days?

**** THE M25

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As you rightly say, the M25 is a lottery which ever way around you go. I drove up to Scarbrough last month, and went clockwise to reach the M1. Mayb e I just got lucky, but there were no hold ups at all.

On the other hand, once you near the Heathrow junctions, and that for the M4, it can get pretty hairy, particularly in the rush hours.

Good luck!

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Multi vehicle accident at Clacket Lane so considering M25 then M1 going clockwise round the M25. Anyone know what it's like around Heathrow these days?

**** THE M25

you can get lucky but normally v bad on a Friday.....I would leave as late as poss after rush hour.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
you can get lucky but normally v bad on a Friday.....I would leave as late as poss after rush hour.

Considering that with a stopover at a travelodge or summat but really want to get there tonight.

Currently leaving at 4:30 which is just plain ridiculous

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bad time to catch the 25 off the 23. But I have always gone clockwise to the M1 off the 23. Although that would also hark back to pre Dartford bridge days. Anywhere from the A3 (J10) up to the M40 is going to be a lottery really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I have to go on the M1 on a Friday, I don't set off from Sussex until 7pm, when it's a lot quieter. As said above from junction 12 on the M25 up to jct 16, is a nightmare at rush hour.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The big streak of red on google traffic all the way round from the 23 to the A21 thinks that the Heathrow gamble is going to be taken.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Clockwise from M23 to M1 on a Friday evening in rush hour is likely to be a nightmare. Suggest either leaving it much later - hit the 25 after 9pm; or, and I'm serious that it's an option, go through town to M1.

Route:

M23
M25 W 1 junction to Reigate
North on 217
Carshalton beeches
Carshalton
Hackbridge
Mitcham
Streatham
Tulse Hill
Herne Hill
Stockwell
Oval
Vauxhall Bridge
Victoria
Park Lane
Edgware Road
Maida Vale
M1

No congestion charge, and for at least half of the journey, you're going against the traffic. Could be a total mare - but on occasions, it's quicker than M25...

theboybilly

I've never had a decent run through the section from the M3 to the M40. It was even quite bad on Boxing Day on the way to Brentford. But you'll get through - just put some Classic FM on and chill, although I'd be tempted to try to get across to the A1(M). The Wetherpoons in Hull stay open late :drink:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The big streak of red on google traffic all the way round from the 23 to the A21 thinks that the Heathrow gamble is going to be taken.

Well the queue for the Dartford Tunnel can be just horrendous too!, plus of course, all those coming off at the M26, and M2 junctions heading down to the Kent coast.

Even if your do leave at 4.30, and drive clockwise, you will reach the M1 eventually. Just a case of being patient!

However, once you reach the M1 . . . lol

Clockwise from M23 to M1 on a Friday evening in rush hour is likely to be a nightmare. Suggest either leaving it much later - hit the 25 after 9pm; or, and I'm serious that it's an option, go through town to M1.

Route:

M23
M25 W 1 junction to Reigate
North on 217
Carshalton beeches
Carshalton
Hackbridge
Mitcham
Streatham
Tulse Hill
Herne Hill
Stockwell
Oval
Vauxhall Bridge
Victoria
Park Lane
Edgware Road
Maida Vale
M1

No congestion charge, and for at least half of the journey, you're going against the traffic. Could be a total mare - but on occasions, it's quicker than M25...

That takes me back a few years. Are there still signs for Hatfield and the North?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you are going round the M25 clockwise, and traffic is crawling, there are a fair few junctions with long slip roads that you can jump a fair section of traffic.

J11, J13, J14, all let you leave and rejoin.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That takes me back a few years. Are there still signs for Hatfield and the North?

I still do it! I live near Cambridge, I work mostly near MK at the moment, my mother lives in Sutton, my gf lives in Camberwell and (obviously) I travel down to Brighton. Often then - either my trip down or back from home games involves a stop at my mother's or gf's, so once I get to Sutton or (particularly) Camberwell, it makes sense to do the other part of this trip.

Yes - those signs are still there...!

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Have done both directions regularly since in laws are at 12 o'clock so either direction similar distance

Generally find clockwise better although can be terrible between m3 and m4. If gets really bad duck into north circular from M4 or if on sat nav even go up m3 via richmond,kew and north circ to M1 just before brent cross. Either way would check on AA travel watch website before going to see whether m25 better in either direction. Today seems better clockwise at moment. Remember also that on Friday rush hour is earlier so around 4-6pm will be worst. Good luck!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I question the title of this thread.

'Lottery' suggest that the road could be good OR bad.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i own a taxi firm and we do a lot of runs to heathrow . obviously [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] has already left but i would have left it an hour or so as i find the rush hour starts earlier on a Friday with people in a rush to get to the pub !

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Well done, you'll be in Hull before last orders

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here