Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! Major Breaking News in Today's Arsgas. "Travellers.......

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Amazing work. I especially like the comment about 'Dan' the travelling man:

'He said they are not working to their optimum at the moment because of the lack of sun and the bad weather, but it was a useful way of avoiding using other forms of power'

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Educational though. Evidently they work best if they are facing the sun, with nothing obstructing the sun and it's sunny.

That's my fill of new facts for the day.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
After a lifetime supporting the Argus we stopped buying it two years ago. If they can't bother to do the best they can I can't be bothered to give them my money. I also realised that if I saw Brian Owen misuse the word 'admit' one more time I would have to kill myself. It wasn't worth it.

It's a pity though - we deserve a cracking local newspaper.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

TRAVELLERS have set up solar panels to power their homes in a city park.

At least five panels were propped up against seven caravans in Wild Park, Brighton, when The Argus visited the site.
It gives occupants enough environmentally friendly power at night so that gas and generators can be less relied upon.

A member of the commune (When did a gypsy site become a commune ?) who would only give his name as Dan has been using solar panels for eight years as he travels around the country in his caravan.
He said they are not working to their optimum at the moment because of the lack of sun and the bad weather, :ffsparr: but it was a useful way of avoiding using other forms of power.

He said: "We set them up by the caravans and you get the best result if you point them in the sun's direction and don't have anything blocking the panel (No shit Sherlock) and we can use them wherever we go. You do have to position them right. If you can get a good charge it will keep four batteries for the caravans charged for the whole winter."

The 38-year-old said his first grid cost him £600 but he said their price has since plummeted.
"You can get a lot more panels for that kind of money now. I have never paid a utility bill in my life." :mad:
Dan said the group will stay at the park until they are moved on. (Ten weeks then)(Ten weeks then)

He added: "The authorities wouldn't waste so much money if they didn't keep moving us around. We aren't like other groups, we keep the place tidy and we just want to get on with our lives. If there was a space where we could park for two or three months at a time away from the public eye that would work for everyone and they wouldn't keep messing up our lives.
"I live like this because I don't want to be part of society. During my life I have rented for less than two months, that's the only time I've been in a building. I don't want to work for someone else, I am happy working for myself. I'm doing my own thing. ???

"Some people still don't understand our way of life but I think more people are beginning to understand."

Brighton and Hove City Council said a possession hearing to challenge the illegal encampment on the land will take place on Tuesday at Brighton County Court. If this is granted, an eviction will be carried out as soon as possible, (Ten weeks then) a council spokesman said.

This week three other unauthorised camps were on public land at Lynchet Close and Sheepcote Valley in the city and on private land in Boneyard, Drove Road, Woodingdean.
The council was due to decide how to deal with the Lynchet Close encampment and travellers had left Sheepcote Valley by Wednesday when staff were sent to clear away rubbish.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
"You can get a lot more panels for that kind of money now. I have never paid a utility bill in my life."

Now there's a shocker !!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Give the feller a break, it's a lot safer than getting your kids to jemmy the cover off a lamp post to get your electricity

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
"I live like this because I don't want to be part of society...................."

....... other than using roads and parks paid for by society,..... and of course claiming his weekly benefits.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Meanwhile on a roof missing a solar panel....

17158798_BG1.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I noticed last Friday that an additional bollard had been erected at the entrance to Wild Park. Just enough width for a car or small van, but not enough to get a caravan through.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I noticed last Friday that an additional bollard had been erected at the entrance to Wild Park. Just enough width for a car or small van, but not enough to get a caravan through.

The cafe complained to the Council about the regular invasions of Travellers taking over Wild Park which affected their business. Councillors got involved and it was agreed that the Council would install bollards to prevent wide vehicles (caravans), getting in to the park. As a lot of regular customers of the cafe are van drivers and the cafe's deliveries arrive in biggish vans, they asked that the bollards weren't in the upright position during the day when the cafe was open. Hence, the bollards are only affective when the cafe is closed! The bollards have ended up about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The cafe complained to the Council about the regular invasions of Travellers taking over Wild Park which affected their business. Councillors got involved and it was agreed that the Council would install bollards to prevent wide vehicles (caravans), getting in to the park. As a lot of regular customers of the cafe are van drivers and the cafe's deliveries arrive in biggish vans, they asked that the bollards weren't in the upright position during the day when the cafe was open. Hence, the bollards are only affective when the cafe is closed! The bollards have ended up about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike.

That is very funny. Couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sad demise of local papers, most will be online only very soon

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here