Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 Best players of the Amex era

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
After seeing the threading discussing the flops since we have moved into our new home, why not be slightly more positive and remember the real greats that have made our first few seasons here so great.

1 - Ulloa: For me, the one player we have lost who everyone on this this board would have back in a heartbeat. Banged in goals in a team that didn't score many, and scored THAT goal at Forest to give us so much hope. From that first goal against Arsneal, scorer of the only Amex hattrick and 2 against Palace, we knew we had a gem on our hands. Definitely the best striker we have had at the Amex, and for me, our best player.

2 - Vicente: Would have been number 1 but simply did not play enough for me. Had he been fit and playing while he was on our books, I'm sure he would have take the top spot. Oozed quality and some of his performance, Derby and Portsmouth spring to mind, were on a different level.

3 - Bridge: Despite only being here for a season, many have said one of the best left backs to play for us. People moaned when we signed him, saying his heart wouldn't be in it, how wrong they were. Not only incredibly solid defensively, but fantastic going forward. 2 moment stand out for me. An absolute screamer on New Years Day at Ipswich but more famously, him bombin down the wing to the touch line to keep a ball in, flicking it across to Orlandi who himself flicks it in against Newcastle.

4 - Kayal: Although he has only been here a year, what a year he has had. Helped pull us out of the mire of possible relegation and know is one of the key figures in a season which is offering so much. Credit here to his partner in crime, Stephens, as without him Beram couldn't do what he does. I feel keeping hold of him this summer may be difficult if we don't go up, which shows how important he is to us.

5 - Buckley: Some may say his final games with us and how he left tarnished his reputation, but on his day was one of the best wingers in the division. Rapid, direct and knew how to score (could do with him at the moment...) he was player you knew could create something. Shame he didn't score any memorable goals though...

Honourable mentions to:

Calderon: Despite being a club legend who would give everything on and off the pitch, we have had more players with more quality.

Greer: Been a stalwart over these first 5 years at the Amex and despite a lot of critics on here, still is incredibly reliable.

Upson: Such a solid defender while here, just a shame he decided to have a mare against Derby.

Hope I haven't missed anyone important. I did consider Bobby, but gonna wait till he scores a hattrick in the play off final first. Will be intesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Vicente
Kayal
Bridcutt
Ulloa
Bridge

Upson, Barnes (pre-emptively; yes I'm serious, no I don't care that you disagree and yes, really, I mean it) and Razak for one glorious GLORIOUS game all take runner up prizes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. Vicente
2. Kayal
3. Ulloa
4. Bridcutt
5. Stockdale

6. Upson
7. Bruno
8. Buckley
9. Bridge
10. Upson

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
1. Vicente
2. Bridge
3. Kayal
4. Bridcutt
5. Ulloa

For me, it's hard to order 2-5. Vicente out on top by some way. Probably the best player to play in the championship. Was simply far too good for us.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Vicente
Upson
Ulloa
Kayal
Bridge

The last 4 on my list were certainly more key to the team but the quality Vicente brought when on the pitch was beautiful to watch.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Like others have mentioned, I just couldn't split the top two. So with splinters in my backside......

1. Ulloa - Goal machine extraordinaire in a team that created little, and a threat in both boxes that is sorely missed.
- Vicente - Flairmeister, 'nuff said. by far the most gifted player I will ever see in the stripes, or anyone else in the Championship for that matter.
3. Kayal - Burgeoning reputation as the most complete all round midfielder I can remember in my time as a fan. A real class act.
4. Bridcutt - Forget his strop and the darkest of clouds in which he left under, player of the year two seasons on the trot (admittedly in a midfield built around him)
5. Bridge - I could list many reasons related to his ability as a footballer, but Frankie Sandford. In an Albion Shirt...

An honourable mention has to go to Buckley for the Amex curtain raiser when I actually thought my head was going to explode, Spanish Dave for that free kick past Speroni, and Razak for looking like a Ballon d'Or contender for one, glorious game.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
1. Vicente
2. Kayal
3. Ulloa
4. Bridcutt
5. Stockdale

6. Upson
7. Bruno
8. Buckley
9. Bridge
10. Upson

Glad to see Stockdale get a mention.

For me:
Vicente,
Bridge
Upson
Ulloa
Stockdale

With an honourable mention for Bruno.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
After seeing the threading discussing the flops since we have moved into our new home, why not be slightly more positive and remember the real greats that have made our first few seasons here so great.

1 - Ulloa: For me, the one player we have lost who everyone on this this board would have back in a heartbeat. Banged in goals in a team that didn't score many, and scored THAT goal at Forest to give us so much hope. From that first goal against Arsneal, scorer of the only Amex hattrick and 2 against Palace, we knew we had a gem on our hands. Definitely the best striker we have had at the Amex, and for me, our best player.

2 - Vicente: Would have been number 1 but simply did not play enough for me. Had he been fit and playing while he was on our books, I'm sure he would have take the top spot. Oozed quality and some of his performance, Derby and Portsmouth spring to mind, were on a different level.

3 - Bridge: Despite only being here for a season, many have said one of the best left backs to play for us. People moaned when we signed him, saying his heart wouldn't be in it, how wrong they were. Not only incredibly solid defensively, but fantastic going forward. 2 moment stand out for me. An absolute screamer on New Years Day at Ipswich but more famously, him bombin down the wing to the touch line to keep a ball in, flicking it across to Orlandi who himself flicks it in against Newcastle.

4 - Kayal: Although he has only been here a year, what a year he has had. Helped pull us out of the mire of possible relegation and know is one of the key figures in a season which is offering so much. Credit here to his partner in crime, Stephens, as without him Beram couldn't do what he does. I feel keeping hold of him this summer may be difficult if we don't go up, which shows how important he is to us.

5 - Buckley: Some may say his final games with us and how he left tarnished his reputation, but on his day was one of the best wingers in the division. Rapid, direct and knew how to score (could do with him at the moment...) he was player you knew could create something. Shame he didn't score any memorable goals though...

Honourable mentions to:

Calderon: Despite being a club legend who would give everything on and off the pitch, we have had more players with more quality.

Greer: Been a stalwart over these first 5 years at the Amex and despite a lot of critics on here, still is incredibly reliable.

Upson: Such a solid defender while here, just a shame he decided to have a mare against Derby.

Hope I haven't missed anyone important. I did consider Bobby, but gonna wait till he scores a hattrick in the play off final first. Will be intesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Bruno? This season has been superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here