Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Run, Benefit or Distraction?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interesting to see Liam Rosenior's views on the FA Cup in the Argus today.

He is very much of the opinion that a run in this year's FA Cup will be of benefit to our promtion push. I'm more than a little bit surprised, especially with our current crop of long term injuries.

What do you think?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think the Board or the Manager will give it much priority initially; however, the benefit of a cup run could be that it gets some League games postponed while we have the injuries and they could in turn be pushed back to when they are fit again. The draw back would be potentially sustaining more injuries. For that reason I don't think the Manager will take any chances in the Cup.

In saying that, if we get past Hull and draw a Premiership side, I think he would go all out to try and knock them out

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I want a cup run. Think the chances of us having one are next to zilch. Hull away wouldn't be easy, even if we played our first team (or as much of it as isn't injured). Not much of a glamour tie either. Expect our cup run to fizzle out without even a spark.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I think a cup run would be a benefit. We could do with a win to end our current form. And team spirit has played a large part in our success this season and if we beat Hull and go on to beat a premier league side that can only boost it.

I hope we don't play a weak side at Hull on Saturday. I don't mind us giving a chance to a couple of players like JFC and Manu but I think we should keep the majority of our usual starting line up and our new signings that are likely to come straight into the team.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Would be nice to get through a round or two with the reserves but we all know if we get a tie vs Arsenal, Man United etc in the next round all the first team players will want to play and can distract from the importance of the league.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would be nice to have at least 1 cup tie at the AMEX this year.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't think the Board or the Manager will give it much priority initially; however, the benefit of a cup run could be that it gets some League games postponed while we have the injuries and they could in turn be pushed back to when they are fit again.

Well we already know that our league game against Hull will be postponed whatever the result on Saturday as we're supposed to be playing them on 4th round day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here