Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been at least ten times. The last time was poor (apart from the starter), noticeably so. The only other time was when I ordered their dosa, which is too carb-heavy for me these days. All other times have been excellent. I have very fond memories of their oxtail madras, pork vindaloo and mixed grills. I've had about four takeaways from them too -- and they're better than other take aways round these parts.

I prefer solid traditional British curry houses so Chilli Pickle will always be a tough sell. I've been to a couple of the fancy ones in London but when it comes to Indian I prefer a few beers and a trad Brit curry house.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Loved the old Chilli Pickle when it was a MUCH smaller venue. Nothing wrong with the new glitzy big scale outfit and can see why they're successful but it's not really for me.

Bit like the career of Aztec Camera.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I prefer solid traditional British curry houses so Chilli Pickle will always be a tough sell. I've been to a couple of the fancy ones in London but when it comes to Indian I prefer a few beers and a trad Brit curry house.

The NSC mods had a night out at Chilli Pickle and I thought it was decent enough. Then hoity toity [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] suggested that for the next meal we go somewhere good. I think that summarises his views on the place.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Both excellent choices [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]... and I think it won't be long before we have another 'star' locally... The Wisborough, formerly The Bat and Ball, is also making a very good impression.

I heard they'd been gentrifying 'The Level' but this is getting ridiculous.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Just in 2015 but nonetheless...went to Silo for the first time on 30th Dec after some rave reviews here and elsewhere. Was a bit disappointed. Only two menus - one "omnivore" and one "herbivore" and both meat courses on the "omnivore" menu were venison so a distinct lack of choice. Whilst some of the dishes were interesting - onion tea, squash spaghetti in a smoked oil dressing which accompanied the excellent hen of the woods dish- much of it lacked precision and ambition and some of it was misjudged - the parsnip (?) puree with my poached pear was just weird and sliced raw sprouts on venison tartare anyone? At times the "philosophy" of the restaurant seemed to take precedence over the aim of making tasty food - ?

Service was lackadaisical (I'm sure they would say relaxed and informal but when you have to go to find the waiter to give you your bill and discover that you haven't seen them for a while because they are eating their dinner, this is probably a bit too relaxed.)

Water was served in jam jars which is not whimsical and ironic, it is just f**cking annoying.

Price was not dissimilar to 64 Degrees which, in my opinion, knocks Silo into a cocked hat both in terms of atmosphere and quality of food.

This all sounds a bit negative but it wasn't really bad just didn't meet my (probably unrealistically high) expectations and I would advise anyone interested in restaurants and the development of food culture to pay a visit - I'm glad I went but if I go again, will probably go at lunchtime.

Went to Polpo for lunch the next day - bit mixed - lack of seasoning in lots of dishes - but overall good fun. Pizza Bianca was very good.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Agree with the jam jars in silo, wankery. If you're setting out to reuse stuff why not re use glasses? Old jam jars are for storing screws, bits of chalk, pens or for making ****ing jam.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The NSC mods had a night out at Chilli Pickle and I thought it was decent enough. Then hoity toity [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] suggested that for the next meal we go somewhere good. I think that summarises his views on the place.

Hoity toity. Not heard that term for a while :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with the jam jars in silo, wankery. If you're setting out to reuse stuff why not re use glasses? Old jam jars are for storing screws, bits of chalk, pens or for making ****ing jam.

Jam jars is trying too hard.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I thought Set was better than certain starred restaurants I've been to. It will struggle because Michelin are obsessed with unnecessary accoutrements such as ironed napkins and irritating (wine) waiters. I prefer good food (and wine) and attentive but relaxed service. About the best I've experienced is at The Sportsman in Seasalter -- their £65 tasting menu is a thing to behold, and almost a bargain if £65 menus can ever be a bargain.

The Sportsman is a gem.

Michelin not obsessed any more (at least at the 1 star level) but the Set is no-were near yet.

Comparing the Sportsman and the Set should make that abundantly clear.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I'd suggest trying the Curryleaf Cafe, I prefer it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Surprised that they are getting slated so much for using jam jars. They are quite adamant about their up cycling and, although this may be a bit of a gimmick, using jars really pushes that point home to the customer.

Bars that use jam jra for cocktails can **** off, however.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Surprised that they are getting slated so much for using jam jars. They are quite adamant about their up cycling and, although this may be a bit of a gimmick, using jars really pushes that point home to the customer.

Bars that use jam jra for cocktails can **** off, however.
But that's just it - they are only making a point; they use proper glasses for wine so are not fully following through on their commitment to recycling, just making fairly empty gestures that annoy customers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Are they jars that once stored jam though, or are they purpose bought? I'd be amazed if they weren't the latter.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are they jars that once stored jam though, or are they purpose bought? I'd be amazed if they weren't the latter.

I would.

http://www.silobrighton.com/story/

Our furniture and fittings are created from a desire to re-use. We choose up-cycling before recycling. Our furniture is made from materials that would otherwise have been wasted and crafted with innovation to serve function. We have plates formed from plastic bags, tables made from industrial floor tiles, work benches crafted from filing cabinet frames and yes, we use jam jars for glasses, but for us this is no gimmick, they are plentiful, multi functional, hard-wearing and the not insubstantial energy that would have been used to re-cycle them is saved.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
the thread on a jam jar means that they need more cleaning than a traditional glass, more water, more detergent.

HOWEVER, they are more robust than a traditional glass

personally I reckon there are more than enough branded glasses for defunct products kicking around in pub cellars to satisfy the current demand for 'up-cycled' drinking vessels.

I bet there are at least 2,000 unused Hoegarden glasses in Brighton and Hove alone and those *******s are nigh on indestructible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Curry Leaf, Planet India and Eastern Eye cover my curry needs. Each have their own niche and occupy it marvellously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here