Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here we go again.
The places I haven't tried, and are high up on my list for 2016 are: Isaacs, Polpo, Fourth & Church, Silo and Fatto a Mano.
A further thought:
There have always been plenty of restaurants in Brighton, but over the past two or three years, the quality has risen. When will Michelin, for instance, take note?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can report very favourably of Fatta A Mano. Honest, well priced and a nice busy atmosphere. Recommended.

On my list are Busby and WIlds, Silo and I've just become a member of Moshimo so will be visiting there a lot of the next two months (50% food for January and usually February for members).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can report very favourably of Fatta A Mano. Honest, well priced and a nice busy atmosphere. Recommended.

On my list are Busby and WIlds, Silo and I've just become a member of Moshimo so will be visiting there a lot of the next two months (50% food for January and usually February for members).

Busby and Wilds is excellent. Went there with a big group just before Christmas and the food was spot on. Nice beers too.

My To Do list seems to be quite similar to [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] 's.

On a side note, though it was just 2015 by a few hours we had a very mixed New Year meal at The Railway in Portslade. Had a lamb shank that was sooooo good, the epitome of what winter pub food should be about. Wife's ribs were also amaxing. Unfortunately they put pepper on the chips on the kids' meals which were also TINY and my mate's halloumi and rice dish was inedible. 5/10

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Used to love the place but the service and food has gone down and down in recent years.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What's the radius, two excellent restaurants in Arundel, The Town House and La Campania

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Silo won the MBH 2015 Brighton restaurant meal of the year so I'll be revisiting.

Isaacs and Polpo are top of the list for new places to try. Back to Terre a Terre next week.

Is that Mediterranean Deli place near Preston circus still going?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Silo won the MBH 2015 Brighton restaurant meal of the year so I'll be revisiting.

Isaacs and Polpo are top of the list for new places to try. Back to Terre a Terre next week.

Is that Mediterranean Deli place near Preston circus still going?

Isaacs is on my list as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When will Michelin, for instance, take note?

From my experience I think Brighton still has some way to go to get a star. I mentioned this in my review of 64 degrees. And since then The Set and Isaacs have come along. Can't speak for the latter but whilst the former is good it still not near.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
From my experience I think Brighton still has some way to go to get a star. I mentioned this in my review of 64 degrees. And since then The Set and Isaacs have come along. Can't speak for the latter but whilst the former is good it still not near.

I thought Set was better than certain starred restaurants I've been to. It will struggle because Michelin are obsessed with unnecessary accoutrements such as ironed napkins and irritating (wine) waiters. I prefer good food (and wine) and attentive but relaxed service. About the best I've experienced is at The Sportsman in Seasalter -- their £65 tasting menu is a thing to behold, and almost a bargain if £65 menus can ever be a bargain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Would it take somewhere that was genuinely fine dining rather than a "concept" or "experience"? A bit of a nod backwards?

I like Brighton but it can get really, really samey. One gourmet burger place opens and suddenly there are ten or so. 64 degrees comes along and suddenly there are a couple of clones. Organic food and set menu concepts abound. But there's nothing close to, say Le Manoir or Restaurant Gordon Ramsey. Maybe we're just too damn hipster-ish

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Here we go again.
The places I haven't tried, and are high up on my list for 2016 are: Isaacs, Polpo, Fourth & Church, Silo and Fatto a Mano.
A further thought:
There have always been plenty of restaurants in Brighton, but over the past two or three years, the quality has risen. When will Michelin, for instance, take note?

When the restaurants pay to advertise in their guide probably, which is the case with most guides.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Would it take somewhere that was genuinely fine dining rather than a "concept" or "experience"? A bit of a nod backwards?

I like Brighton but it can get really, really samey. One gourmet burger place opens and suddenly there are ten or so. 64 degrees comes along and suddenly there are a couple of clones. Organic food and set menu concepts abound. But there's nothing close to, say Le Manoir or Restaurant Gordon Ramsey. Maybe we're just too damn hipster-ish

They have two and three stars respectively. I had my most disappointing meal at the latter, and preferred Set.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
When the restaurants pay to advertise in their guide probably, which is the case with most guides.

Sorry BG, but I think you're wrong on this -- cynical, in fact. Michelin, for all its faults and it has many, is not like most guides, which is why it's been around for so long and has a global reputation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They have two and three stars respectively. I had my most disappointing meal at the latter, and preferred Set.

Interesting! I've had amazing lunches at both which I why I used them as examples. I guess what I was trying to say is Brighton seems to me to aim for a young, trendy crowd rather than starred places.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
About the best I've experienced is at The Sportsman in Seasalter -- their £65 tasting menu is a thing to behold, and almost a bargain if £65 menus can ever be a bargain.

That's on the list too, have family in Whitstable so might go for my birthday.

Co-owned by the Midfield General.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Teppanyaki in Brighton ??
Mentioned to my sister in Hove that I went to one recently and she's rather taken with the idea of an evening of bowl juggling and egg-catching along with cheesy one-liners dished out by the Japanese chef.
Googled B & H but that only showed a place in Preston St which looks closed down.
Any suggestions ??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought Set was better than certain starred restaurants I've been to. It will struggle because Michelin are obsessed with unnecessary accoutrements such as ironed napkins and irritating (wine) waiters. I prefer good food (and wine) and attentive but relaxed service. About the best I've experienced is at The Sportsman in Seasalter -- their £65 tasting menu is a thing to behold, and almost a bargain if £65 menus can ever be a bargain.

I'm not sure they do always concentrate on "ironed napkins and irritating (wine) waiters." I've been to a few Michelin establishments which do not fit this criteria at all. For me the most noticeable element letting 64 and The Set down is the precision of the cooking. And I want to be clear both places are damn good even if they are some way from a macaron.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don't think anyone pays to be in The Guide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here