Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wouldn't happen in Germany/censorship

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Really , what have we gone from being in the last 1000 years since the norman conquest ? And just because our cultural / ethnic make up has changed in the past , anglo saxon/viking/norman does that necessarily mean any future , or indeed past , change was welcomed or beneficial ?

Agreed. I don't like the fact that our monarchy is now German.

#LizOUT

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If changes can be accommodated without impacting on anything else, then no problem but sometimes people have to choose between their invisible friend and the real world.
)

Agree totally, and that's the approach the exam boards are taking.

A little nudge here and there might arise if feasible but exams are not going to be shifted to early May or mid July.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So it's a bit like Easter then?

I manage to organise exams and assignments around that quite easily and have done so for years.

As an educator, do I want students to be disadvantaged from achieving academic success due to fasting as a result of their religious beliefs? No.

As an atheist, do I find the whole thing a load of bollocks? Yes.

So as an athiest, not only are you prepared to move exams to suit not one but two religions, but also to suit that one religion whose practices are not only detrimental to their childrens education but also to their health. Is it not time to take a stand?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
So, we have now moved from being desperate not to offend Muslims to being desperate to please them?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So, we have now moved from being desperate not to offend Muslims to being desperate to please them?

I think it is the default position for people in education to make sure that whoever they are educating has the best possible chance to do their best, as is evidenced by some of the replies on here. If Education wants to do that, why should it bother anyone else?

It is also clear that it is something that is being "thought about". So if any changes are made, I am sure they would be careful to make sure that no other groups would be adversely affected. They are not going to impose on everybody exam starts at sunrise just so that Muslim Children will just have had their breakfast.

I have a wife who is a senior figure in education locally, and one becomes aware that things are done in all sorts of ways to accommodate people for a variety of reasons. And they are done in ways which will not disadvantage anyone else.

This is not a story except for people who make a point of getting upset about certain things.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So as an athiest, not only are you prepared to move exams to suit not one but two religions, but also to suit that one religion whose practices are not only detrimental to their childrens education but also to their health. Is it not time to take a stand?

You're not reading this thread very well are you.

No one is moving exams out of their normal end date to accommodate Islam or any other religion. There is, however, a consultative process on the dates, that happens every year. It hears from many different interest groups including faith groups. Obviously Ramadan will be the consideration put forward by moderate Islamic groups involved. However the overall window is fixed already.

The media has chosen to pick up on the Ramadan element because it sells paper, gets people switching on their tellys and radios and allows them to keep their organisations going thanks to the patronage of the permanently outraged.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
"GCSE and A-level exams could be rejigged this summer to take into account the impact of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours, the exam boards have said" (my emphasis).

So apparently it could happen (my emphasis)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

To be fair i do not believe that children should sit exams on an empty stomach, same as i do not believe anyone fasting for a day can give their best at work.
Sausage, Bacon and Egg is best for the kids prior the exams.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So apparently it could happen (my emphasis)

Could is correct. He said HAVE TO. And not by much. A little retiming of a few afternoon exams rather than shifting the whole shebang. Total non story till the outraged turned up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You realise that we don't have an immovable culture in this country, right? If you look back at the last couple of thousand years, both the make-up and beliefs of our population has changed many, many times. We've gone from being Romans to Vikings to Normans to Germans etc etc etc.

I'd be interested to hear your absolute definition of our 'culture'.

Quality! Next time you mention a 'culture' I'll be asking your absolute definition.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Could is correct. He said HAVE TO. And not by much. A little retiming of a few afternoon exams rather than shifting the whole shebang. Total non story till the outraged turned up.

Why is it a non story, and if so, why have papers/media/TV made a story of it?

I have no idea who you are but does this not fit in with whatever agenda you may (or may not) have?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're not reading this thread very well are you.

No one is moving exams out of their normal end date to accommodate Islam or any other religion. There is, however, a consultative process on the dates, that happens every year. It hears from many different interest groups including faith groups. Obviously Ramadan will be the consideration put forward by moderate Islamic groups involved. However the overall window is fixed already.

The media has chosen to pick up on the Ramadan element because it sells paper, gets people switching on their tellys and radios and allows them to keep their organisations going thanks to the patronage of the permanently outraged.

You are not aware of how discussion works are you?

I am perfectly aware that this issue is currently at a consultative stage and that no final decision has been made. You should be aware that a growing number of people have misgivings about how far British society is willing to change to accomodate people from other alien cultures, and that it is perfectly reasonable to debate this issue.

Meanwhile, it is not historically acceptable to silence free speech in Britain and to stifle debate. Or is this another topic where you would disagree with me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here