Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from the game

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Goodison tonight (as I find myself on an overnighter in Liverpool)

It seems that every time I see Manchester City in the League Cup they lose. Tis true that they have come on a bit since their humiliation at Withdean but nonetheless am I a Jonah for them?

Goodison Park. All the modern facilities of somewhere like Fratton Park but with nice people and atmosphere.

P.s. That lad Gareth Barry could do a job. My M.o.M.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Absolutely agree. One of my favourite grounds (not a stadium).

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Goodison tonight (as I find myself on an overnighter in Liverpool)

It seems that every time I see Manchester City in the League Cup they lose. Tis true that they have come on a bit since their humiliation at Withdean but nonetheless am I a Jonah for them?

Goodison Park. All the modern facilities of somewhere like Fratton Park but with nice people and atmosphere.

P.s. That lad Gareth Barry could do a job. My M.o.M.

Interested you could get in as a spur of the moment thing on the night. Surprised they couldn't sell out a Cup semi-final v Man City :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Horrible place to go back in the day???

Why? I agree with the others who say what a great ground it is. I may be looking through rose coloured specs, as I haven't been there for 30 years but it was always a fantastic day out. I even watched a game from the home end once - a cracking 4-3 game where we lost in the last minute - and had some good banter with the fans around me.

I've seen a few games there (not all involving Brighton) as I had a Scouse mate who was a bluenose and it was always a rocking atmosphere

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I love Goodison. Well past it's sell-by date now of course but such a good set of fans. Better in so many ways than Anfield.

Certainly not a good group of fans back in our division 1 days as many will be able to testify. You only need to look at the numbers who went fot the first visit compared to the second to see how people reacted to their violence. May be different now.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Interested you could get in as a spur of the moment thing on the night. Surprised they couldn't sell out a Cup semi-final v Man City :shrug:

I was a bit surprised. It was pretty full, but you could still rock up and pay on the night

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm now trying to decide where the divide gets drawn.

I've tended to think that either a) if the stands all join up, or b) it has other, non-football uses, then stadium.

If they don't - separate stands/buildings, then ground.

(I've tended to think this since about 5 or 6 minutes ago, so this theory could easily fall apart under the slightest scrutiny).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've tended to think that either a) if the stands all join up, or b) it has other, non-football uses, then stadium.

If they don't - separate stands/buildings, then ground.

(I've tended to think this since about 5 or 6 minutes ago, so this theory could easily fall apart under the slightest scrutiny).

This is in line with my own (last five minutes) theory.

Seperate stands (and preferably floodlights on pylons): Ground
Complete bowl: Stadium

Then there's the 'Arena'...

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I think I am right in saying that of all the traditional big clubs, it is Everton we haven't played in ages in competitive action

Off the top of my head, I can recall league cup games recently against Spurs and Man City, FA Cup against Liverpool, Villa, Newcastle, Arsenal Sunderland and fixtures against Chelsea and Man Utd

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Everton was the first club – after the Albion – that I took more of a passing interest in as a 6/7 year-old. I guess it helped that they were pretty good back then, but my best mate at the time supported them too. I can't stand the term 'second club', but I've had a soft spot for them ever since :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here