Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NEC Dutch League

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Down in Marbs and this lot are at my Hotel, seems a winter break is upon them. Anyway talking to to some of the senior tracksuits revealed a respect for Danny Holla, what was disappointing was none of them have heard of the FDM!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Have they heard of Hans Kraay ? Not the mod from here but the Albion legend we signed from them , that's assuming it's nec Breda and not nec Nijmegen?

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Down in Marbs and this lot are at my Hotel, seems a winter break is upon them. Anyway talking to to some of the senior tracksuits revealed a respect for Danny Holla, what was disappointing was none of them have heard of the FDM!

To be fair, FDM never actually played football in Holland :shrug:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Have they heard of Hans Kraay ? Not the mod from here but the Albion legend we signed from them , that's assuming it's nec Breda and not nec Nijmegen?

It was (and still is) NAC Breda and NEC Nijmegen. Although strictly speaking the latter should just be NEC as the 'N' already stands for Nijmegen.

Hans Kraay is currently a football pundit and commentator on Dutch TV - kind of the equivalent of Mark Lawrenson, but without the funny accent.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
PSV currently in Malta at the moment and lost 2 1 to local side Hibernians Tuesday Night.

Needless to say they were a little embarrassed. Not often a winter break friendly makes national news in the Netherlands... :thumbsup:

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Going over to Amsterdam in March and Ajax vs NEC is on while I'm there. Never been to a game in a foreign country, can anyone give any advice or info I may need to know that have been to the Amsterdam arena before. Thanks in advance

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Going over to Amsterdam in March and Ajax vs NEC is on while I'm there. Never been to a game in a foreign country, can anyone give any advice or info I may need to know that have been to the Amsterdam arena before. Thanks in advance

Worth a visit for the footie IMO. Very easy access via public transport from / to the City centre. There is an excellent rail station within 3-4 minutes walking distance of the Arena. You can be back in a City centre bar comfortably within half an hour of the final whistle.

The Arena is within an entertainments complex that is rather lacking in character. I presume you will be able to get a beer for a domestic game, unlike for our visit for an evening CL game against Real Madrid (thanks to those UEFA spoilsports).

The stadium itself is interesting for the closable roof which certainly enhanced the atmosphere. Interesting to hear the home fans go through their repertoire of songs and chants, plenty of good humour in there. Ajax aren't exactly the force they once were and I guess the crowd will be smaller for a league game. However the atmosphere might be enhanced with a more vocal set of domestic away fans.The locals know their football and it's great to get their views on our domestic footie - and what they know about the Albion and The Amex etc.

There is certainly something about the languid easy style of Dutch football that is pleasant to watch. Despite Madrid giving them a bit of a battering the Ajax players all seemed so comfortable on the ball, their technical skills were executed simply - and by contrast to much of English footie they clearly value possession of the ball. I guess this is all engendered from their famous kids Academy.

Give it a try. Not a bad place to sample a foreign footie game, if only as a brief distraction from the other recreational opportunities on offer in Amsterdam............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here