Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby Sign Blackman For £2.5m

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
For Derby worth a gamble I should think. Overall goal record is not great but even if they get promoted sure they will find a championship club to have him back.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Quite a lot to pay for someone who is out of contract in 6 months time.

I reckon part of the movitation was making sure that he didn't end up going to a promotion rival instead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite a lot to pay for someone who is out of contract in 6 months time.

I reckon part of the movitation was making sure that he didn't end up going to a promotion rival instead.

Or a team making sure they don't fall flat on their faces again if their star striker gets injured like Martin did last year. Derby are properly serious about getting out of this division this year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you listen very carefully, you can just hear the combined whispers of c20,000 miserable Yorkshiremen uttering "Never rated him anyway".

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you listen very carefully, you can just hear the combined whispers of c20,000 miserable Yorkshiremen uttering "Never rated him anyway".

Or 26000 gay ( in the old fashioned sense) Southerners mumbling, "will we get somebody as good to bolster our goal shy strike force"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or a team making sure they don't fall flat on their faces again if their star striker gets injured like Martin did last year. Derby are properly serious about getting out of this division this year.

Yes. In fact its exactly like when Derby were up at the top last year, and they spent big bringing in Ince and Bent to GUARANTEE promotion.

Oh.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He looked great against us to be fair. Good signing for Derby as suspect he is the type of player that looks good in a good team. He has struggled as Reading's season has gone backwards.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. In fact its exactly like when Derby were up at the top last year, and they spent big bringing in Ince and Bent to GUARANTEE promotion.

Oh.

They have since signed both. They also have Martin back and now have Blackman but carry on. The Albion are plainly in a much stronger position today :rolleyes:

There are no guarantees but I suggest they are much more covered against failing again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They have since signed both. Have Martin back and now have Blackman but carry on. The Albion are plainly in a much stronger position today :rolleyes:

I know. And all good players, IMO. Just commenting that there are no guarantees. After all, they can't play them all at once. In many respects this transfer is good news for the Albion, as whilst Blackman is decent, he doesn't actually add as much value to Derby's squad as did to Reading's or would have done to Wednesday's.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know. And all good players, IMO. Just commenting that there are no guarantees. After all, they can't play them all at once. In many respects this transfer is good news for the Albion, as whilst Blackman is decent, he doesn't actually add as much value to Derby's squad as did to Reading's or would have done to Wednesday's.

You make a good point re Reading and Wednesday

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Fair point - then again I think back to last season when they battered us and lost 2-0 as they couldn't put the ball in the net with Martin and Bent out, and I think they're likely to have enough of a use for him at some stage to make it worthwhile.

But you're right, he'd have added more to the other two squads in quality terms at least.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ah, the free agent bit explains why he's gone. I'd been trying to work out why they'd borrow a player for that money then flog one of their own.

Stumpy Tim

He looked great against us to be fair. Good signing for Derby as suspect he is the type of player that looks good in a good team. He has struggled as Reading's season has gone backwards.

You could argue his temporary form was what made Reading look good earlier in the season. As soon as he went off-colour they've turned pony

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hopefully Reading will continue to slide away from the top half.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Only twenty thousand? But aren't they the Massive?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
On first glance I thought the thread title was "Derby sign Blackburn", perhaps trying to find that spot in mid-table halfway between the two teams when they screw up again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here