Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any vintage audio fans out there?!?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've recently acquired a beautiful Pioneer 1976 (oh yes) SA-7300 integrated amp, and it is awesome... Lord! it's akin to having the mighty Purps with me in my front room...

A couple of questions though...

It has a tone switch, what does this do? to my ears it gives greater sonic clarity... It has the loudness switch as normal and I know about these.

I'd like to add a further pair of speakers, which the amp can carry however, I have some Pioneer floor standers rated at 8ohms, can I add some decent bookshelf speaker rated at 8ohms without sacrificing sonic quality and/or damaging the amp/speakers?!? The reason I ask is on the back of the amp it says 8ohms is fine for one pair but an a-b speaker system needs 4ohms, which I understand to be more demanding... confused!

Any help/advice would be great.

Rock On, but be sensible now.

Kosh

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not sure if this is any help but back to my DJ days of hooking up speakers, two 8 ohm speakers run in parallel (going to one speaker and two wires go to second speaker) would cut it down to 4 ohms. Are the speakers of similar wattage though.
Tone back in the days would bring in or take out a capacitor that would cut the bass or treble. 1973 may be a bit late for that technology as I built switches like that in the late 60's at school.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep I think the tone switch may be an early version of what's now known as source direct or something similar - it sounds fantastic either way, but the separation with the normal bass and treble cut with the switch on is something to behold.

On the subject of bi wiring, I don't think I need to do this as the amp has a separate input for the two extra speakers. If you bi wire - into a single input - the ohms will go up in demand... I think... i.e. 8ohm speakers require less amping than a 4ohm pair, I would have thought this amp could easily cope with the extra set without causing any damage... I'm not sure though?!? I'm sure there is a poster out there who understands this fully and it might be that you're spot on.

Cheers...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here