Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Good Is Your Memory?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bit of a random one, but prompted by a discussion at work today about being able to memorise things/retain information. I remember being asked at secondary school to memorise and recite this, which I successfully managed (and can still just about do today, if I really put my mind to it), but some of my colleagues said they would have/have had no chance of doing the same:

[yt]zGM-wSKFBpo[/yt]

To this day, I find that I have a good memory for trivia/useless crap (delete as applicable) but not such a good one for actual important information. So, NSC, how good are your memories and are there particular kinds of things you find easier or harder to memorise?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Memory starts to decline from your early twenties onwards.

Like many, I have a great memory for useless trivia (though not as good as it used to be), but struggle to recall more important stuff. I've also found my memory is considerably worse than it used to be, say ten years ago. Bizarre, and frustrating.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have trouble remembering my own phone number, but (I think) I can remember the Goldstone's.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've got a shocking short-term memory. I can't remember people's names at times; that can get embarrassing and look extremely rude.

And what's it all down to? Caning it at weekends too much and taking on average ten ecstasy pills. Yes, I had a great time but now I think was it really worth it? Depression, memory loss and on medication for bipolar disorder. I honestly don't want any sympathy; I've brought it all on myself. But if there's any youngsters on here that think they can handle it every Saturday night and be OK in ten years, be very careful because it WILL probably catch up with you.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I've been told that a good test is to show anyone a random sequence of numbers and let them look at them for ten seconds, remove the numbers and ask people to recite as many sequential as they can.

Anything over six is considered above average intelligence.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
at my age now I can still remember a time when I was two(2)
but can't remember where I put the pen I was using 2 mins ago

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As with others, pointless detail from my teens and early 20's - I can recite 4 or 5 of my dad's car reg numbers.
But I work as an IT contractor and I can't remember the names of folk I was working with six months ago.

Apparently, looks like I'm normal ....

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I've been told that a good test is to show anyone a random sequence of numbers and let them look at them for ten seconds, remove the numbers and ask people to recite as many sequential as they can.

Anything over six is considered above average intelligence.
You'd use Miller's chunks, innit. (For anyone who studied memory in psychology)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here