Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaving

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Looking for some recommendations on decent razors that will give me a silky smooth shave (face!).

Tired of the normal Gillett / Wilkinson Sword crap that always seem to cause irritation no matter how many batterys and swivel heads they put in them.

Ive been looking at some of zee German safety razors like Muhles ect but any reccomendations from NSC faithfull?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Looking for some recommendations on decent razors that will give me a silky smooth shave (face!).

Tired of the normal Gillett / Wilkinson Sword crap that always seem to cause irritation no matter how many batterys and swivel heads they put in them.

Ive been looking at some of zee German safety razors like Muhles ect but any reccomendations from NSC faithfull?

Well I've been using my faithful Gillette Fusion for years now, gives a really smooth even shave, so I've had no reason to look elsewhere.

Mind you, that's for a wet shave of course, I can't get on with electric razors at all. They often leave me with a rash, and for me, they don't shave close enough.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Well I've been using my faithful Gillette Fusion for years now, gives a really smooth even shave, so I've had no reason to look elsewhere.

Mind you, that's for a wet shave of course, I can't get on with electric razors at all. They often leave me with a rash, and for me, they don't shave close enough.

Yeah it needs to be a wet shave I dont get on with the electrics either.

Fair play, Ive not tried that one in fairness but other have tried a couple of other Gilletts and havent been wowed.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

Might not need to change your razor. I was having the same problem as you and changed my shaving gel and starting using a aftershave balm. I use the Molton Brown shaving cream and the Molton Brown Extra Rich Bai Ji Hydrator Facial Moisturisershaving cream. Not cheap at £22 & £26 each but well worth it. I reckon that I spend about £100 per year in total.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Me also, it must be an age thing:)

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

This, but at the moment going through a beard phase.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anyone else able to use a "disposable" razor for an inordinate length of time...?

I reckon I've done a daily beard/tache shave for about 6 months on a Fusion.

Involves a bit of scraping away but gets the job done and my skin seems to take it. Quite funny when I get a new one and it feels like some sort of science fiction wonder gadget in its efficiency... :)

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I can highly recommend these https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/

They are still doing £10 off for new customers. For £20 (£10 after new customer offer) I got a razor, a box of new blades & shaving gel. The gel is optional but it is very good, and they also sell post shave cream etc. The razor itself is a nice bit of kit and the blades are incredibly sharp, as you should expect. They recommend you replace the blade every week which I have done, and every couple of months they should contact you to see if you need new blades. I am very impressed with it as you can tell, best razor I've ever had. Perhaps a bit more expensive than your normal offerings but well worth it.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Might not need to change your razor. I was having the same problem as you and changed my shaving gel and starting using a aftershave balm. I use the Molton Brown shaving cream and the Molton Brown Extra Rich Bai Ji Hydrator Facial Moisturisershaving cream. Not cheap at £22 & £26 each but well worth it. I reckon that I spend about £100 per year in total.

I did recently change to Nivia Sensitive Gel and it has been alot better than the Gillett foam I was using.

I do think a change in razor would be good too. I only tend to get the best shaves when I use a new blade which is why I'm considering moving to a safty razor as you can get about 100 razor blades for £12 and they are supposed to be the mutts nutts.

theboybilly

They are still doing £10 off for new customers. For £20 (£10 after new customer offer) I got a razor, a box of new blades & shaving gel. The gel is optional but it is very good, and they also sell post shave cream etc. The razor itself is a nice bit of kit and the blades are incredibly sharp, as you should expect. They recommend you replace the blade every week which I have done, and every couple of months they should contact you to see if you need new blades. I am very impressed with it as you can tell, best razor I've ever had. Perhaps a bit more expensive than your normal offerings but well worth it.

I've given cornerstone.co.uk a go and have been very pleased so far. You can tailor your order to every 6, 12 or 24 (I think) weeks and you don't have to have everything if you don't need to (eg I have plenty of blades so have just ordered shave gel and post-shave balm this time)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

That looks a damn good deal!

I've had a beard for a few years now but do sometimes toy with the idea of having a shave. Thing is I am s**t at it. By the time I'm done my face looks like I've been the victim of a honey badger attack. Hence the beard.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

This looked great so I've signed up! I will report back with my thoughts on it.

Thanks for the help.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If possible, shave in the sauna after a game of squash (other racquet sports are available) as per the old days at Corals. Opens the skin pores for a much closer shave.

Additionally, a large sambuca on the coals is refreshing.

Aside from this, love my Gillette Mach3 Turbo.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thing is I am s**t at it. By the time I'm done my face looks like I've been the victim of a honey badger attack.

Me too. Hence the Braun electric jobbie. Though I did grow some designer stubble for a few years and just used a trimmer jobbie...that worked too.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Me too. Hence the Braun electric jobbie. Though I did grow some designer stubble for a few years and just used a trimmer jobbie...that worked too.

Yeah I have a trimmer at home to keep the beard in check.

It's mostly the neck that causes me grief, the hair grows out in all different directions down there so it'll be going nice and smooth until I hit a certain patch and all of a sudden I'm cut.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yeah I have a trimmer at home to keep the beard in check.

It's mostly the neck that causes me grief, the hair grows out in all different directions down there so it'll be going nice and smooth until I hit a certain patch and all of a sudden I'm cut.

Snap...my neck used to end up with hundreds (literally) of tiny pin prick blood spots if I wet shaved. I had a stick of something that stung like buggery to try to stop the bleeding, but even that didn't work. 10 minutes shaving; an hour of unsuccessfully trying to stop bleeding before putting my work shirt on. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
made a real difference to me switching to a proper badger's brush and shaving cream not foam. I have been using the body shop shaving cream, very good. I tried proper German safety razor and numerous blades but still prefer the Wilkinson protector due to curly grey stubble and bumpy skin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here