Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Gayle Fined

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
unbelievable :( Sometimes the PC brigade go well OTT. If it was the other way round I doubt it would have had any airtime etc...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I always find myself in the COMPLETELY unoffended camp whenever something like this pops up.

But I do think on this occasion he was quite inappropriate and clearly made someone doing their job feel quite uncomfortable. Am I outraged? No.Do I think he overstepped the mark? Yes.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
unbelievable :( Sometimes the PC brigade go well OTT. If it was the other way round I doubt it would have had any airtime etc...

True and if the athlete had been gayle the interviewer would have had to take it in good humour or probably be pilloried as homophobic.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't belive this took so long to appear, thought it'd be nice and frothy mouthed for a few hours already.

I don't think a fine was particularly necessary, and it's hardly offensive, but if it made the presenter uncomfortable then regardless of whether he thought it was harmless fun or not, it wasn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. If it was the other way round I doubt it would have had any airtime etc...

Was there not quite a lot of comment in the media, over Suzanna Reid's 'flirty' interview tecnique, last year?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fox Sports reporter Neroli Meadows told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. that Gayle had said similar things to her and several other female reporters.
"He does this constantly... He has creepy behaviour and the way he did it to Mel was just that, and Mel knew it was going to happen," she said.

AND

Chris Rogers, Gayle's former captain at Sydney Thunder, accused him of being a bad influence on younger players.
"This is a pattern of behaviour. If you know the guy, you see it over and over," said Rogers.
"It's not just him, there's a lot of this stuff in the sporting industry, and to defend it is not right at all."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fox Sports reporter Neroli Meadows told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. that Gayle had said similar things to her and several other female reporters.
"He does this constantly... He has creepy behaviour and the way he did it to Mel was just that, and Mel knew it was going to happen," she said.

AND

Chris Rogers, Gayle's former captain at Sydney Thunder, accused him of being a bad influence on younger players.
"This is a pattern of behaviour. If you know the guy, you see it over and over," said Rogers.
"It's not just him, there's a lot of this stuff in the sporting industry, and to defend it is not right at all."

Quite. If one reads what he said, and it COULD come across a bit of a laugh, if you're feeling charitable. Or maybe not.

But watch the interview - and how he says it - and it's utterly creepy and unpleasant and seems a bit rapey. Not nice at all.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Quite. If one reads what he said, and it COULD come across a bit of a laugh, if you're feeling charitable. Or maybe not.

But watch the interview - and how he says it - and it's utterly creepy and unpleasant and seems a bit rapey. Not nice at all.

And to then put it in the context of a pattern of behaviour. I mean Neroli Meadows works at Fox Sport in Australia, I'm assuming she's no stranger to a bit of old fashioned sexism and Chris Rodgers is a tough, gritty opening batsman who earned the respect of his fellow baggy greens. I strongly suspect that neither of these two fit the feminist, humus munching vibe particularly well. Their testimony is telling here.

A case of straw that broke the camel's back I suspect

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
True and if the athlete had been gayle the interviewer would have had to take it in good humour or probably be pilloried as homophobic.

Was there not quite a lot of comment in the media, over Suzanna Reid's 'flirty' interview tecnique, last year?

Ever seen Alan Carr or Graham Norton's chat shows?

Also did Reid get fined 5k? I've not seen the interview (just read the article) FWIW but if he made her feel uncomfortable just an apology would have done...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you want a little more on Gayle's 'banter':-

'One was a remark Chris Gayle made, ahead of a CPL match, in which he was asked at a press conference by a female journalist: "How does the pitch feel so far in terms of the training and the weather?" Gayle responded: "Well, I haven't touched yours yet so I don't know how it feels."

Listening to Chris Rogers this morning, it's clear that Gayle is a pretty odious character. Oh, and married, must be lovely for his new wife to hear this....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
look , he couldn't say "if you wanna bounce on me big ting ya just gotta come round me yard baby.." could he ....?? i thought he was quite clever offering the bint his services live on (in) the box but the young'uns would be none the wiser....???

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But I do think on this occasion he was quite inappropriate and clearly made someone doing their job feel quite uncomfortable. Am I outraged? No.Do I think he overstepped the mark? Yes.

This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here