Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez goes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I shall be very interested to see how Zinedine Zidane shapes up as manager - possibly my all-time favourite player.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Get him in!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not really ! Hasnt zidane been coaching REAL's reserves or something similar ?

Again according to Wiki - Zizou has been involved in some form of coaching capacity at Real since 2010, including the last 18 months as Coach of the B side. Considerably more experience that Pep had before getting the big job, but still not a great deal.

As an aside - how many truly great players (say by being a key part of a Champions league winning side, or an internationally-rated international) have really made it as a manager/coach (say by coaching the team that won the league)?

EDIT: Clough??

EDIT 2: Dalglish. Ancelotti.

Really struggling now....

Last edited:

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Again according to Wiki - Zizou has been involved in some form of coaching capacity at Real since 2010, including the last 18 months as Coach of the B side. Considerably more experience that Pep had before getting the big job, but still not a great deal.

As an aside - how many truly great players (say by being a key part of a Champions league winning side, or an internationally-rated international) have really made it as a manager/coach (say by coaching the team that won the league)?

Franz Beckenbauer.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I suppose the difference between Pep managing Barca B and ZZ managing Real Madrid B is that Madrid don't have a pre-defined STYLE.

Pep was brought up playing in the Barca culture, had one year to coach the culture and then moved to managing a team OOZING with the culture of playing the "barca way".

That's why comparing the time Zidane had coaching compared to Pep isn't all that meaningful.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Much though I hate to say something good about Southampton FC, Ronald Koeman?

He certainly did it as a player, less of a stellar success as a manager, perhaps, but solid, and I like the bloke.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Much though I hate to say something good about Southampton FC, Ronald Koeman?

He certainly did it as a player, less of a stellar success as a manager, perhaps, but solid, and I like the bloke.

Certainly makes the grade as a player. As a coach? Hmmm...at a real stretch - maybe. Just.

I agree that he's a likeable bloke though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here