Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welsh place names.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just do away with ALL welsh road signs, doubled up info on forms etc etc........waste of money and a waste of time................I have not a clue of the percentage but a vast majority of Welsh people can do no more than utter a few minor sayings in Welsh...........its pointless!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just do away with ALL welsh road signs, doubled up info on forms etc etc........waste of money and a waste of time................I have not a clue of the percentage but a vast majority of Welsh people can do no more than utter a few minor sayings in Welsh...........its pointless!!

Like lower league football clubs, playing in unsuitable rented accomodation, possibly an athletics stadium. Let them BURN. Innit. :facepalm:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Piece of cake

Cwmystwyth.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Last time I was in North Wales, when I walked into a shop they were talking in English, when they realised I was English they started talking in Welsh.
This was in Betws-y-coed and the surrounding area, nice place to visit though.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Last time I was in North Wales, when I walked into a shop they were talking in English, when they realised I was English they started talking in Welsh.
This was in Betws-y-coed and the surrounding area, nice place to visit though.

As you say thats more north wales, i live in very much south wales, in north wales they are well known for their ignorance in doing things like that.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thats more north wales, i live in very much south wales, in north wales they are well known for their ignorance in doing things like that.

Ah, I thought you meant the whole of Wales, last time I was in Swansea I never heard one word spoke in Welsh.
Or when we were in Cardiff for the play off final.
Do they not speak some Welsh up in the valleys, that's still South Wales isn't it?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Ah, I thought you meant the whole of Wales, last time I was in Swansea I never heard one word spoke in Welsh.
Or when we were in Cardiff for the play off final.
Do they not speak some Welsh up in the valleys, that's still South Wales isn't it?

You won't here welsh spoken fluently in many places in south wales, many will do certain sayings like Bor a dah (Good Morning) or Prin how da (good afternoon) I've spelt both in a way they can be pronounced in english, i wouldnt know the welsh way of spelling it without looking it up, I work in swansea and your more likely to hear brummies and londoners than welsh...:lol:

Yes the valleys is very much south wales.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
In the year i worked in the valleys you'd get the odd language switch when we English went to a pub .The only major bother we had was more up country in Llandrindod Wells,2 of us were in trouble till the 10 others working with us turned up.Even the Pool table got turned over.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
And it's only 15 miles from Ynysddu, if you go via Ystrad Mynach.

The point is, though, that these places have only one name. There isn't an English equivalent or translation.[/QUOTE

In-ess-do = Ynysddu ............ustrad munarch = Ystrad Mynarch ..........my versions are how they are pronounced, obviously not a translation.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Aberystwyth is probably the strangest place I have visited in the UK.
Miles and miles of nothing but green hills and fields and then, suddenly, a fair sized town with a university and everything, talk about a captive audience, the pubs could charge £10 a pint, its not as if you could just drive/taxi/bus or train to the nearest town for a night out, its light years away.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here