Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton Wanderers plight!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Was just listening to Kevin Davies on talksport about BW predicament in respect to financial matters.
They are still operating a premier league club, parachute payments exhausted and a wage bill in excess of £16 million pounds.
He is trying to drum up support from local businesses to aid BW.
But no holding his breathe.

Just wandering when if/when we are premiership bound, can/could we survive the financial restraints that come as a binding agreement that comes with the above?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Look at the people running the Albion, then look at Phil Gartside at Bolton. Let's worry about it when we get there, but I don't think we'd need to.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Was just listening to Kevin Davies talk about BW predicament in respect to financial atters.
They are still operating a premier league club, parachute payments exhausted and a wage bill in excess of £16 million pounds.
He is trying to drum up support from local businesses to aid BW.
But no holding his breathe.

Just wandering when if/when we are premiership bound, can/could we survive the financial restraints that come as a binding agreement that comes with the above?

Surely this comes from a lack of contract management? The players contracts should have a relegation wage drop built in that would bring them in line with the salaries that they had prior to the promotion

The bets players would surely be sold upon realising that you couldn't make it back to the Prem without struggling? I really don't understand how clubs get liek this, although (apprently) Football Manager doesn't fully reflect real life and this is where most of my football club management comes from.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Probably because I understand most clubs in Prem have relegation clauses in players' contracts such that wages reduce and are therefore are more manageable. That mitigates the silly issue of £50-60k pw wages that have caused problems for the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and QPR.

This is lkely to mean that parachute payments will be available to boost relegated teams' chances of buying players as opposed to paying stupid wages. Suspect this plus the huge increase in Prem TV money is behind TB opening cheque book.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The problem with relegation clauses is that in todays game where players have the power they will look elsewhere rather than sign a deal with such a clause.
The money available from next season in the premier league is so much higher than when Bolton were there, hopefully that and sensible management will prevent us suffering that fate if we make it

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Look at the people running the Albion, then look at Phil Gartside at Bolton. Let's worry about it when we get there, but I don't think we'd need to.

I believe he is quite ill right now, pretty sure I heard that recently. That aside, the man is a ****. He wanted there to be no relegation from the Premier League when Bolton were up there-clearly he knew what a mess the club was/is in. They are a bit like Portsmouth when it comes to being in the shit financially-only worse.

The Premier League salaries need reeling in but it will never happen and The Albion would be no different to any of the clubs there right now. The reported transfer funds available for January's upcoming transfer madness prove that.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Probably because I understand most clubs in Prem have relegation clauses in players' contracts such that wages reduce and are therefore are more manageable.

As I understand it, the opposite is true. I'm sure this was commented on directly by Barber/Bloom at some point and they said that although the clauses exist, 9 times out of 10 players will flat out refuse to sign if a % cut is included. That's how the QPR"s or Portsmouth's of this world happen...or how dreadful players like Zigic or Pogrebnyak can end up in the 2nd tier on north of 50 grand a week.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Bolton continued to roll the dice even when their premiership money stopped as they believed Eddie Davies would continue to support it or at least that's what Gartside thought . They lived way beyond their means in the championship thinking they would get back to the promised land rather than cut salaries .

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Incredible that non-league Eastleigh have more money than Bolton Wanderers at the moment and didn't want their FA Cup third round tie switched for television this weekend. Would be quite ironic if Bolton went on a money-spinning cup run if they got some luck with the draw.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You would have thought, after a club with no cachet at the time paid, allegedly, the highest wages in the country at the time, put players on 6 year contracts, then got relegated, and a few years later survived the drop to non league on the last day of the season, that the owners of other clubs would have seen the writing on the wall and cut their cloth accordingly. Alas, the gambler's mind is run at the brainstem level (the seat of primitive urges) and time after time chairmen get their cocks out (and the cocks of others) in a mad frenzy of missplaced optimism at the bazar of instant gratification (premier league survival/glory).

You will all, of course, recognise the club to which I allude at the start of this reply :ffsparr:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The problem with relegation clauses is that in todays game where players have the power they will look elsewhere rather than sign a deal with such a clause.
The money available from next season in the premier league is so much higher than when Bolton were there, hopefully that and sensible management will prevent us suffering that fate if we make it

£100 Million next season for whoever goes up. I will do some zeros £100,000,000. The promised land indeed.
When you are close to the top and doing ok in the Championship by January, it must be worth a huge punt in the transfer window to get promotion. If only our Chairman was a gambler.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Whilst I feel sorry for the fans and the non playing staff I'm hoping their plight gets worse as I backed them in mid December to finish bottom at 2-1 with Skybet, couldn't believe those odds as was evens with Ladbrokes. So I'm hoping for a 12 point deduction and a fire sale of players.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
£100 Million next season for whoever goes up. I will do some zeros £100,000,000. The promised land indeed.
When you are close to the top and doing ok in the Championship by January, it must be worth a huge punt in the transfer window to get promotion. If only our Chairman was a gambler.

But within a short time any team that survives in the Premier league will be spunking most of that on players wages. No doubt any promoted team will bank a sizeable profit in their first season - just like Palace did - but wages will just eat the profits away in subsequent years.

Think about it, Palace are in their third season in the Premier league and, despite the obscene levels of the money, they have felt the need to get around £100m of external investment in order to try and bring the ground up to an acceptable, modern day level. On that basis, how on earth is Tony Bloom going to recover his incredible investment of around £200m In your club?

Thank god he's a genuine fan who has invested for that reason and not to just make money.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But within a short time any team that survives in the Premier league will be spunking most of that on players wages. No doubt any promoted team will bank a sizeable profit in their first season - just like Palace did - but wages will just eat the profits away in subsequent years.

Think about it, Palace are in their third season in the Premier league and, despite the obscene levels of the money, they have felt the need to get around £100m of external investment in order to try and bring the ground up to an acceptable, modern day level. On that basis, how on earth is Tony Bloom going to recover his incredible investment of around £200m In your club?

Thank god he's a genuine fan who has invested for that reason and not to just make money.

Well that's the thing, isn't it? I'm not sure Tony Bloom ever really expects to get his money back from the Albion. How could he? The club will never pay back £200m in a thousand years. It's more of a labour of love for his lifelong team in his case, and praise the Lord for that.

Completely different to a Randy Lerner, or the Glaziers, or any number of Thai, American or middle eastern investors who are going in to Premier League clubs imagining they're going to be their ticket to fame & fortune.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Well that's the thing, isn't it? I'm not sure Tony Bloom ever really expects to get his money back from the Albion. How could he? The club will never pay back £200m in a thousand years. It's more of a labour of love for his lifelong team in his case, and praise the Lord for that.

Completely different to a Randy Lerner, or the Glaziers, or any number of Thai, American or middle eastern investors who are going in to Premier League clubs imagining they're going to be their ticket to fame & fortune.

Yes to both observations.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

My thoughts exactly. Yes, clubs get a LOAD of cash for being in the PL, but it all gets spent trying to stay there, so no-one *really* makes any money.

It never ceases to amaze me how many successful businessmen – who HAVE made a load of money from other enterprises – think they can do the same with football clubs. Never gonna happen...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Surely this comes from a lack of contract management? The players contracts should have a relegation wage drop built in that would bring them in line with the salaries that they had prior to the promotion

The bets players would surely be sold upon realising that you couldn't make it back to the Prem without struggling? I really don't understand how clubs get liek this, although (apprently) Football Manager doesn't fully reflect real life and this is where most of my football club management comes from.

Same boat here. I feel its something the FA should be working with the PFA on: mandatory relegation wage drops in all contracts at all levels.

Firstly it would help clubs keep their finances in order and secondly it would stop rewarding players who have failed in their remit of winning games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here