Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea on the way out?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Looks like Rea's career at the Albion may well be on borrowed time. An article in the Argus this morning reports on Hughton "ticking off" Southend boss Phil Brown. Southend's game on Saturday against Doncaster Rovers was the last of Rea's loan spell, and Brown was quoted that day in the Southend Echo as saying:-

I want Glen to stay at the football club and I've told him that. ...I would like to offer him a two-and-a-half-year deal and I've told him that. However, it's not all down to us and much of what happens is going to be down to Brighton and their manager Chris Hughton because he's still under contract there until the end of the season.

Hughton is reported as being surprised by Brown's comments, and says:-

I know Phil very well and probably that's the type of quote that nobody should really know about, because that's a conversation that I've had with him. At this moment Glen comes back and then we'll assess it from there. For us it's about a decision on whether he stays with us for a little while, or whether he goes somewhere where he can get more games.

Whatever the exact nature of discussions between Hughton and Brown, it certainly doesn't sound as though Albion told Southend that they had no chance of signing Rea permanently as his contract was going to be extended.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looks like Rea's career at the Albion may well be on borrowed time. An article in the Argus this morning reports on Hughton "ticking off" Southend boss Phil Brown. Southend's game on Saturday against Doncaster Rovers was the last of Rea's loan spell, and Brown was quoted that day in the Southend Echo as saying:-

Whatever the exact nature of discussions between Hughton and Brown, it certainly doesn't sound as though Albion told Southend that they had no chance of signing Rea permanently as his contract was going to be extended.

I''ve just read the comments you have extracted and drawn the opposite conclusion to your post and thread title!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Me too. It certainly didnt make me think he would be headed back to southend any time soon.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Isn't it the correct way about things to ask reports on one of your loaned out players?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a really bizarre interpretation of the story by the OP - looks to me like Rea is back in the mix for us

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I had elevated you to God like genius for your Mary Poppins related post on the Calleri thread, only to find today that you have read between the wrong lines on this story and have somewhat egotistically taken one of your congratulatory replies to the aforementioned Calleri thread post, and added it as your tag.
Why do my heroes always end up disappointing me?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will we play him in the cup vs Hull, and then send him back on loan ? ???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sounds like we will send him out on loan again and Phil Brown won't be getting a Christmas card from Chris this year.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's irrelevant to the story really but isn't a manager telling a player (that isn't his) that he'd want to sign him, as well as discussing some sort of contract items, a form of tapping up?

I know that contracts can be offered to players who will be free agents at the end of the season within the last 6 months of their deal in some instances (if they're abroad) but I'm pretty sure domestically it can only happen in the last month (without a transfer offer being accepted anyway)...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we are going to splash the cash some people on here are talking about then we will need all the youngsters with potential as (if not promoted) we will fall foul of this year's version of FFP by a big margin and will suffer an automatic transfer ban.
Unless of course we do a QPR and go to court - have they ever been fined for buying promotion 2 years ago?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we are going to splash the cash some people on here are talking about then we will need all the youngsters with potential as (if not promoted) we will fall foul of this year's version of FFP by a big margin and will suffer an automatic transfer ban.
Unless of course we do a QPR and go to court - have they ever been fined for buying promotion 2 years ago?
Maybe Barber, in his position at the Football League, now knows that FFP is dead..? ???

Are we going to use the same dodge as QPR ? ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Me too. It certainly didnt make me think he would be headed back to southend any time soon.

Maybe not, but, "whether he stays with us for a little while, or whether he goes somewhere where he can get more games" doesn't sound as if new contract negotiations are imminent either.

Dec 29, 2011
Tommy Cook all over again? He's nowhere near the first team but seems to be our most promising young CB alongside Dallison.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'd like to see him stay with us. With Dunk, Goldson and Rea, that is a tidy post-Greer CB unit for the future - unless of course we have others in the January pipeline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here