Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone got google chromecast?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
And if so...its it any good and easy to use?

Want it primarily to stream on demand from my tablet on to my TV.

Cheers

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Friends of ours bought us a Chromecast thing in a small box, I'm not very savvy on these sort of things. In fact I'm not even sure how to open the box !

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Got one for Christmas. I mainly use it to "beam" stuff from my iPad to the TV and for that it works perfectly as almost every video streaming app has a 'cast' function.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Got one for Christmas. I mainly use it to "beam" stuff from my iPad to the TV and for that it works perfectly as almost every video streaming app has a 'cast' function.

Thanks. I'm not very good with these things...any good video streaming apps?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Thanks. I'm not very good with these things...any good video streaming apps?

Well you've got all your catch up TV (BBC iplayer and the ITV, CH4 and 5 equivalents) BT Sport, Netflix, Plex to name a few.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Dead easy to use. If you have an AV amp then plug it in there so that you can use the systems sound, or just into your TV if not. The only thing I have found that it won't work with is Sky.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The only drawback that I find (I have a couple), is that due to a spat between Google and Amazon, there is no dedicated amazon prime instant video app. Screen casting works but sometimes, I find the phone gets a little hot and the syncing goes awry.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
We have got it, it's fine, that said I don't use it continually, but when I do it's fine.

It won't work through an HDMI extention if you have say Sky or BT also plugged into it, but if your streaming via your phone / tablet you only need the Chromecast plugged in anyway.

My son in law uses it ALL the time and reckons its the best thing ever!

Hope the above helps :thumbsup:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Have one and used to use it all the time. Really good for watching in different places as you can, for example, start a programme on ipad whilst doing the cooking and then transfer it to tv with the click of a button when in front of the tv. Obviously lots of apps remember where you are across devices but chromecast is way quicker than accessing through these. Only slight problem was that netflix would often lose communication with the chromecast so it would take a while before you could pause or stop as the app took a while to realise it was still casting - this has improved a lot recently.

We have now reverted to a combination of Amazon fire stick, which allows us to watch amazon instant (and is a scarily quick and easy way to rent new releases) and youview box, which has all other apps on it, so chromecast doesn't really get a look in - I do miss the aforementioned benefits though!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Its brilliant had one about a year use it all the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here