Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've just bought a couple of music books to go on holiday with - Kim Gordon's 'Girl In A Band' and John Savage's 'England's Dreaming.' Resident have a pretty cool section going on now.

Anyone on here got any favourites? A few I've really enjoyed in recent years have been.

The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-KLF-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551

Renegade: The Lives and Tales of Mark E. Smith http://www.amazon.co.uk/Renegade-The-Lives-Tales-Mark-Smith/dp/0141028661

Music books can be a bit hit and miss though; a lot are really dry and boring, plenty are ridiculously self-aggrandising, some focus too much on the extra curricular activities, tough balance to get right.

I read 'England's Dreaming quite a long time ago, and really enjoyed it.

More recently, I read Redemption Song, Chris Salewicz's biography of Joe Strummer. Compelling and moving. I loved it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
2. Cavern of Anti Matter - void beats / invocation trex

Unfortunately, the only track I can find for it is the pretty throwaway single featuring Bradford Cox, which is the worst moment on the album. Some awesome kraut jams from former Stereolab man Tim Gane.

The full album is up on Spotify.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Cavern of Anti Matter. I'll check it out, thanks. Here's some great news too: Beth Orton has a new album out soon 'Kidsticks' and she's just released the first track 'Moon'. It's a far cry from what you normally expect, this is synths and techno-based so I'm expecting a fair few quality remixes.

After a week's umming n arrring I finally bought the album on Tuesday, but had to get it from Bleep as everyone's stock of the first pressing has sold out. CoAM then followed me on Twitter soon after, spooky I thought until I remembered I'd like the tweet from Resident saying they have tickets for them in May at patterns.

As for Orton, I wasn't blown away by it, even though it's produced by Andrew Hung, half of F_uck Buttons.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I was listening to CoAM last week and I thought the songs were overly long, but I was feeling very tired at the time. I also thought the Pinkshinyultrablast album went on too long too, so it may be that I'm only tolerating short songs at the moment - like my current favourite Everybody Wants To Love You by Japanese Breakfast, which is as sweet and syrupy as molasses.
http://michellezauner.bandcamp.com

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I was listening to CoAM last week and I thought the songs were overly long, but I was feeling very tired at the time. I also thought the Pinkshinyultrablast album went on too long too, so it may be that I'm only tolerating short songs at the moment - like my current favourite Everybody Wants To Love You by Japanese Breakfast, which is as sweet and syrupy as molasses.
http://michellezauner.bandcamp.com

Like a female Avi Buffalo, I should add.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've just bought a couple of music books to go on holiday with - Kim Gordon's 'Girl In A Band' and John Savage's 'England's Dreaming.' Resident have a pretty cool section going on now.

Anyone on here got any favourites? A few I've really enjoyed in recent years have been.

The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-KLF-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551

Renegade: The Lives and Tales of Mark E. Smith http://www.amazon.co.uk/Renegade-The-Lives-Tales-Mark-Smith/dp/0141028661

Music books can be a bit hit and miss though; a lot are really dry and boring, plenty are ridiculously self-aggrandising, some focus too much on the extra curricular activities, tough balance to get right.

Simon Reynolds is always worth reading, particularly 'Rip It Up', his history of the post punk era. Also Bob Stanley's (St Etienne) 'Yeah Yeah Yeah' which is a history of modern pop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got both his albums and only ever saw him once live at The Great Escape. Shame he is in retirement.

I saw one of his last gigs, last night European tour. Gig was down graded to a little bar, due to lack of ticket sales I presume, and he played to about 50 people. I can understand why he quit given he'd been slogging around Europe to such small crowds is tough. Big shame though as I thought he was a real talent.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw one of his last gigs, last night European tour. Gig was down graded to a little bar, due to lack of ticket sales I presume, and he played to about 50 people. I can understand why he quit given he'd been slogging around Europe to such small crowds is tough. Big shame though as I thought he was a real talent.

There was quite a gap between the two albums and a lack of live dates in this country. Agree its a shame as would have liked to seen/heard more of him.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Kendrick Lamar has just dropped a surprise album. 8 tracks long - called Untitled, Unmastered.

If you know Kendrick then you don't need to ask if it's any good.

Also Kano and Lapsley albums dropped today. Currently on my first spin of the Kano offering. Sounds absolutely massive.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Anna Meredith's debut Varmits LP is out together. I've been looking forward to this for 3 years since I saw her at the great escape. Crazily talented, classically trained experimental pop. Check out the Taken video.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not 2016 but one album I've had on heavy rotation the last week or so in the car is Gulp - Season Sun. Guto of the Super Furry Animals doing proper pop and it's ACE.

Check it [yt]Kdi2uKpGZ7c[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here