Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is at fault?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Right, yesterday's unfortunate own goal by Goldson - who was at fault?

This incident was almost a carbon copy of the one that Dunk nearly scored at Derby, whereby a weak cross was heading for the front post and Stockdale has positioned himself to collect - on each occasion the centre back has dived in front of him to intercept a ball that clearly was going straight into the keeper's arms.

So, who is at fault, the defender who thinks he is doing the right thing as the last man, or the keeper for not giving a clear, unequivocal shout of "keeper's ball"?

Discuss...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Keeper for me, Stockdale should have given a huge shout he had it covered, that didn't appear to happen hence why Goldson tried to cut out the cross.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you're going to try to cut out a cross, you need good control of the ball, regardless of someone else having covered it. Goldson should have controlled the direction of the ball. He knew where he was in relation to the goal.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Bruno.
For letting the winger get a cross in.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bruno.
For letting the winger get a cross in.

I sort of thought that initially, but when I watched it back I felt that Bruno did enough to stop Graham putting a meaninful cross in. The ball was going nowhere but into the keeper's arms until Goldson's untimely intervention.

For me, in this situation it is the keeper's responsibility to shout one way or another, either "keeper's ball" or "clear it", which he appeared to do neither of.

I get the feeling that the team now believe that the Gods are conspiring against them, and don't now appear to have the belief they can get out of jail once things go wrong. They looked deflated after this goal went in, I couldn't see the fighting spirt that was so evident when they came back from 2 down to Charlton only a matter of a month ago. The wind appears to have been knocked completely out of our sails.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I sort of thought that initially, but when I watched it back I felt that Bruno did enough to stop Graham putting a meaninful cross in. The ball was going nowhere but into the keeper's arms until Goldson's untimely intervention.

For me, in this situation it is the keeper's responsibility to shout one way or another, either "keeper's ball" or "clear it", which he appeared to do neither of.

I get the feeling that the team now believe that the Gods are conspiring against them, and don't now appear to have the belief they can get out of jail once things go wrong. They looked deflated after this goal went in, I couldn't see the fighting spirt that was so evident when they came back from 2 down to Charlton only a matter of a month ago. The wind appears to have been knocked completely out of our sails.

There was no lack of effort with 19 shots at goal. Two good saves & the woodwork denied us a goal. The team were shattered at the end, so I don't buy the lack of belief.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
There was no lack of effort with 19 shots at goal. Two good saves & the woodwork denied us a goal. The team were shattered at the end, so I don't buy the lack of belief.

I can't deny there was a massive amount of effort, but did you REALLY think we were going to score once we went a goal down? Maybe I am a pessimist, but I couldn't see it, and that appeared to be reflected in the way the players played yesterday. At present we seem little better than we did a year ago. I know we have a massive injury list, with possibly 7 or 8 first selection players out, but we just seem deflated and in desperate need of a bit of luck or a good win.

Yes Bruno did hit the bar with a fantastic shot, and he would probably be the exception to the rule, as he doesn't apear to understand what a lost cause is.

Some of the others just seem resigned to it once we went behind.

As you mention we had 19 shots, only 6 of which were on target, Woves had 6 shots with 4 on target - our attacking just seemed a bit desperate at times and with little convction or belief of the end product - oh and seriously Elvis Manu, God help us if we are relying on him to find us a goal when he comes on, now that is literally the last throw of the dice, is there seriously no-one better in the development squad?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I did believe we were going to score. At least two of those shots had me holding my head, thinking 'how did that not go in'.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Definitely Goldson for me. In those situations you have to be decisive, either leave it or clear the ball for a corner. In the end he did neither.

That said, that's what your always going to get with young centre backs learning their trade in a higher division, mistakes. Other than that moment he had a very solid game against one of the league's best strikers. Hope he keeps his place at least for the cup game.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Definitely Goldson for me. In those situations you have to be decisive, either leave it or clear the ball for a corner. In the end he did neither.

That said, that's what your always going to get with young centre backs learning their trade in a higher division, mistakes. Other than that moment he had a very solid game against one of the league's best strikers. Hope he keeps his place at least for the cup game.

From Goldson's point of view it was a real shame as I would have had him just behind Bruno as MOTM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Both attempts from defenders which just reinforces my assertion that we have a lack attacking belief.
I watch the team as a whole. Wolves were very disciplined defensively, closing down our strikers, so it was down to others to try to score.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The cross was pretty harmless, heading straight for Stockdale. I sit directly behind where it was crossed from and we didn't think at the the time there was a call from Stockdale, and having watched the replays I still don't think there was so Goldson (who otherwise looked excellent to me) had to go for it with a player behind him. Also impressed with how well Goldson recovered from that - didn't seem to affect the rest of his game.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I watch the team as a whole. Wolves were very disciplined defensively, closing down our strikers, so it was down to others to try to score.

No. A striker can't just say "I'm being closed down in this game so I'm not going to score". It's up to the striker to find space at the right times and to make best use of whatever service he gets.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The cross was pretty harmless, heading straight for Stockdale. I sit directly behind where it was crossed from and we didn't think at the the time there was a call from Stockdale, and having watched the replays I still don't think there was so Goldson (who otherwise looked excellent to me) had to go for it with a player behind him. Also impressed with how well Goldson recovered from that - didn't seem to affect the rest of his game.

Hijacking my own the thread again, I think Goldson now looks a starter, forget who is or isn't fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here