Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New drinking guidelines

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. At least 2 days a week without alcohol.

2. No more than 3 units per day (bringing the recommendation for men in line with the existing guideline for women).

Oh.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The nanny state can do one. Have a drink, don't have a drink, it's up to the individual.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a valid point the government are making, currently hospitals are filling up with people whose conditions are often brought about by alcohol abuse,overeating and smoking. I think too many of us are too fat and lazy and drinking too much but in denial that they have a problem.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't say hospitals are filling up because of smoking. You hardly see anyone having a fag now other than a handful outside a bar, the stats say kids aren't drinking as much as they were a few years ago either.

Granted, there is an issue with women over 30 drinking wine to excess but since when do they listen to ANY advice, least of all from the government?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't have a problem having 2 days a week without booze, usually do 4 these days. Number of units is another matter.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The only way it will work is to make alcohol too expensive like Scandinavia.
Scandinavians (especially the Finnish) are one of the few nations that match or beat the Brits at drinking on holiday and that's only because the can't do it at home.
British women are worse than Scandinavian women though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Two days without drinking? Won't hat leave your throat like the Sahara Dessert?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Strikes me as political posturing of the worst kind. I can not see how anyone following the previous guidelines was damaging their health and it just makes people with a problem less likely to take any notice.

Of course anyone reading this now pictures me as an old soak, with a bulbous red nose.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's a valid point the government are making, currently hospitals are filling up with people whose conditions are often brought about by alcohol abuse,overeating and smoking. I think too many of us are too fat and lazy and drinking too much but in denial that they have a problem.

Valid point it may be, so let's see them lead by example and shut the subsidised bars within the Palace of Westminster!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thing is, where does this sort of Nanny state intervention end. Don't play sports you might get injured and end up in hospital, don't drive a car you might have an accident and end up in hospital, don't cross the road, etc. you get the picture!

Basically let people get on with their lives and within reason let them make their own choices. We pay our taxes for the good of ALL even if some of them are stupid!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the government (this one or several previous ones) were serious about improving public health they would ban the sale of all tobacco products.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If the government (this one or several previous ones) were serious about improving public health they would ban the sale of all tobacco products.

Bans would increase smuggling.

Guidelines are just advice, not laws. People are still free to ignore them.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
The nanny state can do one. Have a drink, don't have a drink, it's up to the individual.
At the football yesterday was a father and son and the father was absolutely hammered, so much so that I'm not sure whether he would have been allowed in. The kid probably gets a miseducation at home on how much you should drink, so if he's exposed to this 'nanny state's message, good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is surely just for unrefined booze. Artisanal craft beers don't count though do they?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You are now allowed 1 decent pint or 1 normal glass of wine anything more is drinking to excess and a 6 foot 16 stone man can only cope with the same as a 5 foot 7 stone female. OK then

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Last time I tried having two or three dry days every week, I came down with a really nasty bug. I reckon you need a very low but near permanent level of alcohol in your bloodstream to fight all the germs off :whistle:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here