Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
This guy NEEDS to be our key man.
No Solly, No Kazenga, so Murphy is the only winger we have left (unless we sign RVLP).

For me, he needs to up his game - barely involved the last couple of games which is so disappointing given they were at home.

£1.5m but very few magic moments so far.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Murphy is fine if there is a proper winger on the other side, if It's March or Kaz he's good enough but if he's expected to be the main threat he struggles.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
well the problem is having to play him constantly when hes out of form like a few hes in need of a rest but until our injury list clears up a bit hes gonna need to play and hope to find some form again i cant wait for the cup game to give bk and ds a rest

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Murphy is fine if there is a proper winger on the other side, if It's March or Kaz he's good enough but if he's expected to be the main threat he struggles.

That is correct - but with Kaz he will get more space as the defence will be more worried about the other wing. With that will come greater success and confidence, and from there he may well become a very good player.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I think his game has been heavily hampered by Calderon filling in as a left back. Calderon has been solid, but I think Murphy has been more cautious and unwilling to take players on, because if he looses it with space behind him, he knows Calderon may become exposed. His form has certainly dipped as the team has struggled.

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
I think his game has been heavily hampered by Calderon filling in as a left back. Calderon has been solid, but I think Murphy has been more cautious and unwilling to take players on, because if he looses it with space behind him, he knows Calderon may become exposed. His form has certainly dipped as the team has struggled.

Definitely this. Don't think it's coincidence that his form has dipped since Calderon has been playing at left back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is it in a nutshell but unfortunately CH thought Calderon was the answer to our left back problem rather than a left footed left back, who may not hve been as good but is naturally left footed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I completely agree, at times he is retreating back into his own half to try and retreive the ball and help Calde out with his defending.

At other times recently, today in particular, he seemed to wander inside, and was almost taking up the position of a striker, which was one of the reasons l think, that our play became very narrow at times.

He was the only winger in the team today, and we deseperately needed him to stay wide, and get accurate crosses into the box. That didn't happen nearly often enough.

That said, I do like and rate Jamie, he was playing well earlier in the season, and I fully expect him to come good again, once his positioning has been tweaked a little.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Spot on. Hopefully when Ridgewell starts he will recover his form.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

This. I lost count of the amount of times today that Murphy picked up the ball, waited for a run on the outside of him so that he had the option of passing on the outside or dribbling on the inside and linking with the forwards, and the run inevitably never materialised. He was stranded all game, as he has been since Calde came in at left back, and it's become ridiculously easy for opposition fullbacks and wide men to double up on him. There are very few players in world football who can be effective when they're constantly being doubled up upon.

Despite this, today was his best game in a few weeks, albeit his end product was lacking again, but he worked his arse off defensively and offensively and he tried to shoulder the burden. Until we get someone at left back who is comfortable going on the outside of him, he's going to find it very difficult to recover his form fully - to be honest, I feel sorry for the guy (as much as you can for a guy being paid insane money to play football).

el punal

This guy NEEDS to be our key man.
No Solly, No Kazenga, so Murphy is the only winger we have left (unless we sign RVLP).

For me, he needs to up his game - barely involved the last couple of games which is so disappointing given they were at home.

£1.5m but very few magic moments so far.

I agree. Considering he was the target for a fair number of clubs in the summer, I somewhat expected more of a contribution from him. Hopefully we will in the second half of the season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here