Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

¿Can We Have A Thread Focussing Exclusively On JACK HARPER Por Favor?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So we signed this hybrid Scottish/Spanish STARLET STRIKER from REAL MADRID SIX months ago and we've not heard a peep since.

¿Que pasa? ???

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Really thought he'd be on the bench today.........oh well , another time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The fact that he is not even on the bench despite our woefully weak squad would suggest he is not quite what we hoped for.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was injured for quite a while. He is back fit and has started to make appearances for the development squad. Taking what was said when he (and Hambo) signed, while the players intended to force their way into first team contention, it felt very much like Hughton saw them as development signings, not first team. People expecting them to be first team material were, I believe, a little carried away (probably encouraged by Bloom, Barber and the media, making sure to mention them as signings as if they are first teamers (Hughton always seemed to view them as not for his team).

He might get a chance in the squad for the cup game, but I think unless he tears it up v Hull, he isn't likely to get much, if any, first team action this season.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
When I saw Harper play Arsenal Under 21's last month he looked really rusty and off the pace of the game.
I would go as far as say JFC offers more than Harper does at this present time.

Saying that, Harper should be given some minutes against Hull in the FA Cup game next month. Will be a good indication to see how he fares in a first team game against an English Championship side.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As expected he's made the step across from Madrid's 3rd team to our 2nd team. Give it time and he has as much chance as anyone to come up but he's very much a luxury player so I imagine he's rounding out his game a little for now. FA Cup is hopefully a good shout

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harper is only three months younger than James Wilson, a player LVG could recall for Man Utd and, if that happened, you'd expect him to play.

Harper will be 20 in 8 weeks. If he's fit we need to get a look at him very soon. There's no downside if he's not ready but there could be a huge upside if he responds to the big stage.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Harper is only three months younger than James Wilson, a player LVG could recall for Man Utd and, if that happened, you'd expect him to play.

Harper will be 20 in 8 weeks. If he's fit we need to get a look at him very soon. There's no downside if he's not ready but there could be a huge upside if he responds to the big stage.

It's not just about age. Wayne Rooney was ready for the premier league at 16, but clubs aren't rushing every 16 year old in their teams, are they? It's about more than that. At 20 years old, James Wilson has made first team appearances for Man Utd, and is with us to continue his education. Jack Harper hadn't made any first team appearances for Madrid, he was in their C team, playing in the fourth tier of Spanish football. Just because they are the same age, does not mean they are at the same point of development.

There are downsides: Put someone in the team when they're not ready can stunt their development. JFC was used way more than he should have been because we've had bad luck with injuries in midfield over the previous two seasons, and he's gone from a promising youngster to someone who is looked at by some on here as a potential player to be shipped out. He's only getting in the match day squad at the moment because of all the injuries we currently have.

A poor player can be the difference between a win and a draw, draw and a loss. Every new loss can feed into a losing momentum. Early last season we were playing well. We were dominating games, creating chances, but missing them, then our opponents would score with their only shot on target (first four home games last season we faced four shots on target and conceded four goals). The more we failed to win, the more of a losing momentum we built up impacting on our whole season. If we force people into the team when they're not ready, and it results in another loss, that feeds into the losing momentum this season, turning a poor run, into something worse.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I take your point Acker but we haven't scored in 4 matches. One striker is having a crisis in confidence, another is vomiting on the pitch pre-match, a third has got only 60 minutes in him and the fourth is long- term injured.

Harper is paid by the Albion to play football, he is almost 20, if he doesn't deliver we'll have to spunk millions we don't have on chasing the dream. The FA Cup match vs Hull is a shot to nothing, the team needs him and it's time for him to get a run out.

I'm not saying he is the messiah but what he has now is fitness, motivation and an opportunity. We need to throw him in and have a look.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I take your point Acker but we haven't scored in 4 matches. One striker is having a crisis in confidence, another is vomiting on the pitch pre-match, a third has got only 60 minutes in him and the fourth is long- term injured.

Harper is paid by the Albion to play football, he is almost 20, if he doesn't deliver we'll have to spunk millions we don't have on chasing the dream. The FA Cup match vs Hull is a shot to nothing, the team needs him and it's time for him to get a run out.

I'm not saying he is the messiah but what he has now is fitness, motivation and an opportunity. We need to throw him in and have a look.

He seems to be more of an attacking midfielder than a striker and Monakana & Tilley look ahead of him at the moment. Nothing against giving the U21s a chance, but give them a chance of their performances for the U21s not their reputation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here