Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup, team selection?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What would you prefer - Full strength or rest key players?

Personally I'd try to rest as many key players as possible and concentrate on the league, although I appreciate with an injury list as long as your arm that may be easier said than done.

Normally I don't buy all that players are tired stuff, but in our current circumstances a lot of ours really look like they're starting to feel it ( Kayal and Stephens in particular).
The injuries, having to fight for the full 90 minutes because of not putting games to bed, and the games coming thick and fast over the Christmas period - time to try and protect what players we can I think next Saturday.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Couldn't give a fig about the FA cup, start the u21's. Tell them whoever scores a goal is guaranteed a start in the next league game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hull won't care so I'd give a few of the dev squad a run out, excellent opportunity for them. Still love the FA Cup, just pity Hull away is about the worse possible fixture...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Couldn't give a fig about the FA cup, start the u21's. Tell them whoever scores a goal is guaranteed a start in the next league game.

In the extreme, that's my view too really, but obviously that won't and probably can't happen.

What are the rules on number of 1st team players that must be fielded? Can't remember the numbers but sure there is a ruling on it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Every time we don't give a fig about the FA Cup it bites us in the bum. We put out the second-stringers, duly get beat, then find we would have got a plum draw in the next round.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First team - but definitely include any newcomers. Agree that Hull away is about as unwelcome a draw that we could have got, but would still love a cup run.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In the extreme, that's my view too really, but obviously that won't and probably can't happen.

What are the rules on number of 1st team players that must be fielded? Can't remember the numbers but sure there is a ruling on it.

There was in the JPT games but not sure if it applies to an FA cup game.
I'm more concerned about injury than winning the game. We cannot afford to lose any more players.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Maenpaa, Calderon, Goldson, Dallison, Ridgewell, Ward, JFC, Towell, Tilley, Harper, Elvis

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It could provide a good opportunity to ease returning injured players back into first team action, give new signings game time, and potentially give some development squad players a sniff of the first team, see how they respond.

Goalkeeper: Maenpaa (seems to be standard to make him our cup keeper for the early rounds, at least)

Defence: If Greer is fit, give him a bit of game time to get back into the swing of things, and give Goldson a chance with him. While Goldson got the own goal today, I think picking him again gives him a chance to get it out of his system, and takes Dunk out the spotlight.

Full backs are a little trickier. Both Calderon and Bruno need a break. We have Ridgewell coming in. His experience may let him play on the right, leaving the left berth for Chicksen. However, if we intend to sell Chicksen, we'd be better to not cup tie him. So, might be a spot there for the development squad player to fill a gap (probably on the right, with Ridgewell on the left).

Midfield: Kayal and Stephens should probably get a bit of a rest. Crofts should probably be in there, assuming he hasn't had bad reactions to his game time since returning from injury. I think JFC would probably be next in the pecking order, with Ince seemingly falling out of favour recently. Holla might make up a three man midfield to protect the youth/inexperience at the back/lack of attacking options.

Our wing options are to continue with Murphy, who has been a bit off form, and might need a rest or play an attacker out wide. It might be a chance to see Manu start.

Forward: Probably too much to ask Zamora to play it from the start. If we're allowed, probably Wilson and Hemed.

Bench - Tilley? Harper? Kayal, Stephens, Ince, Ankergren, Returning Lualua?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There was in the JPT games but not sure if it applies to an FA cup game.
I'm more concerned about injury than winning the game. We cannot afford to lose any more players.

Wasn't it minimum of 5 or 7 players in the tinpot paint pot trophy? I thought similar rules applied in all cup competitions. Handy if they don't.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd definitely try to give Ince a full 90 minutes. Think he could do with it, both for game time and confidence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In circumstances for the first time ever I'd say stick the reserves out. We might be surprised too!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Maenpaa

Calderon
Goldson
Greer
Ridgewell

Manu
Towell
Crofts
Lua lua

Hemed