Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miss Like

el punal

Help me!! I'm on the train from Southampton to Brighton for the Wolves game. The carriage is empty apart from two teenage girls who are in verbal diarrhoea overdrive with every third word being LIKE. As in - he was like well fit, she was like shit, they were like up for it. It's doing my head in!

Solutions please.

PS - I'm now on my third can of Guinness, it's helping.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
start speaking like them and hopefully they will no longer think it is cool to speak like that and will stop

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
its the new talk from over the pond
either that or they are omitting going to school

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tell them you 'like' like them both and ask if they'd like you to like take them up the Amex whilst dribbling a little Guinness down you chin and winking. That should ensure a definite (if awkward) silence to your destination.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Have you seen the other thread "There's like this bloke in our carriage pouring like Guinness down his like throat"

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Get this every day going to work. Now they are starting to use "So..." at the beginning of sentences. So it was like etc. does my head in.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Get this every day going to work. Now they are starting to use "So..." at the beginning of sentences. So it was like etc. does my head in.

I thought teenage girls started every sentence with 'Oh My God....'. Perhaps they have progressed to 'So...'?

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Help me!! I'm on the train from Southampton to Brighton for the Wolves game. The carriage is empty apart from two teenage girls who are in verbal diarrhoea overdrive with every third word being LIKE. As in - he was like well fit, she was like shit, they were like up for it. It's doing my head in!

Solutions please.

PS - I'm now on my third can of Guinness, it's helping.

You have my sympathy, fwiw.

As a regular train user, I can vouch that this is a common occurrence - teenage girls or young women talking to each other, or yapping non-stop on their phones, every third word is 'like'.

I call it 'Bimbo Babble', and it's everywhere.

I always want to tell them how thick they sound, but they would probably take it as a compliment!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do they pronounce it 'laak'? I supervised a project student a few years ago who said that. She would have had to have passed at least 3 A levels with a minimum AAB gradesto get to the place where I work. ****ing MCQ bollocks at A level lets them get by without an iota of an idea. I had a PhD student recently who told me she had never read a book. Any book. She passed her GCSE English by memorizing the bit of the book in the curriculum. WFT???? :wrong:

I recommend farting loudly in the carriage. When they say 'Eugh, like that was disgusting, innit, like', just say 'I'm sorry, I only speak English'. You'll feel a lot better. Innit.

el punal

Tell them you 'like' like them both and ask if they'd like you to like take them up the Amex whilst dribbling a little Guinness down you chin and winking. That should ensure a definite (if awkward) silence to your destination.

I tried to reply earlier but had a, like, communication breakdown. I did the dribbling bit but totally misread the winking bit for something else. I must confess there was an awkward silence following this activity.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Stare at them and ask them if they are interested in The Devil and joining your Satanist Coven

I had a PhD student recently who told me she had never read a book. Any book.

Which just goes to show why even many highly educated people are susceptible to egoism and fatuous absurdities in our society: although of course there are exceptions. Repeating what is said or being able to teach this art is true propaganda, the capacity for critical thought can often be found wanting. Admire your desire to instil the latter.

Oh to hear more discussions on trains as to why Stockdale's distribution is so good, or the metaphysics of Kierkegaard (involves 'the teleological suspension of the ethical' like.....)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here