Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dubai hotel fire

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Awful. Don't they have sprinklers and shit to contain this sort of thing?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems from the reports that the fire is on the outside of the building with internal systems opwrating to stop the fire destroying the interior. So far no reported injuries which is good news.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not good. I work in facade cladding and its no surprise that these tall buildings go up so quickly.

Let's hope everyone gets out ok.

It's a surprise to a layman like me. What ever happened to H&S, fire regulations, sprinklers, doors etc. Shocking that such a fire could spread so quickly. Whatever they say now, it would be amazing if there were no casualties. Truly awful.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what the feck is that built out of...?? either the sprinkler system has malfunctioned or there is some serious excellerant been used there...bloody hell .....bound to be loads of brits in that place.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's a surprise to a layman like me. What ever happened to H&S, fire regulations, sprinklers, doors etc. Shocking that such a fire could spread so quickly. Whatever they say now, it would be amazing if there were no casualties. Truly awful.

Luckily in the UK we have regulations in place. Not always the case in other parts of the globe. A fire needs three things, heat, fuel and oxygen. This building will probably have a ventilated facade, so that is plenty of oxygen. Add combustible cladding and insulation materials ( which I'm 99% sure they will have used) and that's your fuel.

The diagram below explains it better than I can, but my guess is they will have used combustible material in the cladding system.

image.png

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We have clients as permanent residents in The Address Dubai Mall.

I've just emailed the mother to check that all is ok with them.

One of my friends here lost her home a few months ago when The Torch caught fire.

Even though it's NYE, it's a sad night for Dubai.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazed if no casualties but great news. This is (was....) apparently my firms 'preferred hotel' in Dubai as close to the main office but I stay at the Sofitel. Ironically last time I was there we had a fire alarm at 4am, but only due (they said) to someone smoking in their room. Seeing how some were really struggling to walk down 40 flights of stairs with no aircon in 40+ degree heat makes me really wonder how these places can get quickly evacuated in situations like this. Scary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here